Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2295918 - 04/15/24 05:14 PM Dress Code - Polo Shirts?
Jace Offline
New Poster
We are looking to propose a change to our Dress Code with the introduction of a Polo Shirt displaying our logo? We currently are "Business Casual" but our policy currently does not allow for the use of Polo Shirts as part of this category (basically its a dress shirt with no tie). Does any have any studies/surveys/examples of how this has affected customers/employees? And do you have any limitations on when employees can wear the polo shirt? I am thinking, for my organization, that this would need to be a slow implementation period. Any advice, examples, supporting information is welcome.

Return to Top
Human Resources
#2295920 - 04/15/24 05:25 PM Re: Dress Code - Polo Shirts? Jace
hatman Offline
I think you're overthinking the dress code. For us, in a more rural area, customers don't really care what you wear anymore, they're just happy to get to deal with a live person. For our business casual, pretty much anything goes as long as it's not jeans, shorts, or t-shirts. No need for a slow transition. Good Luck!

Return to Top
#2295921 - 04/15/24 05:28 PM Re: Dress Code - Polo Shirts? Jace
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
This is really a business decision to be made based on your customer base and what they expect. This should not be driven by what the employees want, it should be based on customer expectations. Have you asked any of your customers what they would expect? I worked in a bank that had both urban and rural branches in the 70's and 80's. In the rural areas, if you were not wearing a western shirt and cowboy boots, some customers would not even talk to you. In the urban areas, if you were not wearing a suit, it was the same way. I am not sure how much of any of that has really changed. The teller line also might be a little different from bank officers. Maybe it has changed, and I am just old-school. Personally, I never walk into a branch anymore.

Return to Top
#2295925 - 04/15/24 06:06 PM Re: Dress Code - Polo Shirts? Jace
Scott Chicoine Offline
My bank wears business casual logo ware including polo shirts. Being 15 minutes from Green Bay WI, during the Football season it is Packer Friday with Packer shirts or jerseys. Around here, almost every business has Packer Friday and IF you didn't people would question THAT. Dress how your customers expect you to dress and be professional.

Return to Top
#2295927 - 04/15/24 06:10 PM Re: Dress Code - Polo Shirts? Jace
InFairness, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
InFairness, CRCM
USA
Originally Posted by Jace
We are looking to propose a change to our Dress Code with the introduction of a Polo Shirt displaying our logo? We currently are "Business Casual" but our policy currently does not allow for the use of Polo Shirts as part of this category (basically its a dress shirt with no tie). Does any have any studies/surveys/examples of how this has affected customers/employees? And do you have any limitations on when employees can wear the polo shirt? I am thinking, for my organization, that this would need to be a slow implementation period. Any advice, examples, supporting information is welcome.

Our dress code is business casual with an overlay of "Dress for your day." We generally permit polo shirts with khakis or dress slacks. However, there is an expectation that if you're meeting with a client whose dress code is business attire, presenting to the board, etc., you will dress appropriately. We also permit buying a "jeans pass" on Fridays during some times of the year as a charity fundraiser.

Return to Top
#2295969 - 04/16/24 02:38 PM Re: Dress Code - Polo Shirts? Jace
INBanker Offline
What are your competitors doing? That will be a good indicator what is acceptable in your market.

Every institution in my area has included polo shirts as part of their business attire for 15+ years. I haven't been required to wear a dress shirt to work in almost 2 decades.

Return to Top
#2296198 - 04/19/24 07:05 PM Re: Dress Code - Polo Shirts? Jace
madukes Offline
Diamond Poster
madukes
Flyers Country
Since covid the majority of our staff works remotely 3 days per week. We are permitted to wear jeans and sneakers to work (except public contact employees) just no t-shirts, shorts etc. We also have sports days (Eagles, Phillies, etc) where t-shirts, jerseys are permitted.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry