Skip to content
BOL Conferences

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#2290813 - 11/16/23 04:54 PM The CFP nightmare scenario
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Been a while since we've talked any college football, so i thought i'd throw this nightmare scenario for the College Football Playoff committee out there:

Washington runs the table and finishes as the 13-0 Pac 12 champ. (Will be tough, but definitely possible.)

Florida State runs the table and finishes as the 13-0 ACC champ. (Highly likely..)

Michigan (or Ohio State, take your pick) runs the table and finishes as the 13-0 Big 10 champ. (Highly likely that the winner of the OSU-Michigan game finishes the year unbeaten.)

Texas runs the table and finishes as the 12-1 Big 12 champ. (No worse odds than a coin flip; Texas will be favored in every game it has left on the schedule, including the Big 12 title game if they get there.)

Alabama beats Georgia in the SEC championship game. Alabama is the 12-1 SEC champ, but lost to Texas. Georgia finishes 12-1, but is not the SEC champ, and lost to Alabama (who lost to Texas).

Who are the committee's 4 playoff teams? And does the SEC get left out? (Gasp, the horror.)

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2290814 - 11/16/23 05:03 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I originally read this to read "The CFPB nightmare scenario" before I realized in what forum this was posted and thought "good god" what did they do now.

Return to Top
#2290815 - 11/16/23 05:22 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario rlcarey
mtngrrl Offline
Platinum Poster
mtngrrl
Northern California
Originally Posted by rlcarey
I originally read this to read "The CFPB nightmare scenario" before I realized in what forum this was posted and thought "good god" what did they do now.

Same! crazy

Return to Top
#2290816 - 11/16/23 05:28 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Ha!

Return to Top
#2290853 - 11/16/23 08:10 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
Me too! I thought maybe the Court had leaked something about their CFPB funding decision.

Return to Top
#2290894 - 11/20/23 03:21 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
St. Matthew Offline
LOL. What does it say about them when we all immediately think the same thing?

As for the football thing, I hope it all blows up just like you said. It would make a great case for a 8+ team playoff.

Return to Top
#2290895 - 11/20/23 03:50 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
The 12 team playoff begins next year.

Return to Top
#2290896 - 11/20/23 04:34 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
TMatt87 Offline
Diamond Poster
TMatt87
Idaho
In that scenario, I think it will be the 3 unbeatens and the SEC champ. SEC will be included over the BIG 12 champ due to strength of schedule and a bias towards the SEC.

Return to Top
#2290899 - 11/20/23 04:47 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
I agree that that's what they'll do, and i agree it's because of a bias towards the SEC. "Strength of schedule" is highly subjective. Everyone seems to be forgetting all the non-conference losses by the SEC earlier in the year, which evidently means nothing now.

Return to Top
#2290903 - 11/20/23 06:50 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Like others, I originally read this as "CFPB." But that's your nightmare scenario right there: CFPB decides that CFP rankings are "unfair" and initiates enforcement action.

Of course they don't have the authority. But when has that stopped them before? smile

Return to Top
#2290904 - 11/20/23 07:01 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario rainman
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Originally Posted by rainman
Like others, I originally read this as "CFPB." But that's your nightmare scenario right there: CFPB decides that CFP rankings are "unfair" and initiates enforcement action.

Of course they don't have the authority. But when has that stopped them before? smile

laugh

Return to Top
#2291066 - 11/28/23 01:57 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted by raitchjay
And does the SEC get left out? (Gasp, the horror.)

that's some funny stuff right there. Everyone knows thet SEC has a unwritten contract with NCAA that guarantees them no less than 1 slot in the final playoff brackets.

Return to Top
#2291075 - 11/28/23 03:12 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
True dat.

Return to Top
#2291132 - 11/28/23 08:22 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
In your scenario, I think this would be another year with two SEC teams. Bama and Georgia will both receive an invite. Michigan will get spot three. The fourth, if both Wash and FSU finish unbeaten, will pretty much come down to their strengths of schedule and a look at who is highest rated overall at the time.

The SEC champ is practically guaranteed a spot. So if Bama wins, they're in. With Georgia being practically unbeatable over the last couple of years, not inviting them would cause mass hysteria in the media. So, both 1-loss SEC teams would "outrank" the 12-1 Big 12 champ.

I seriously cannot wait for the 12 team playoff.

Return to Top
#2291134 - 11/28/23 08:25 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Burkemi, good to talk to you again, but i think it's crazy talk to suggest that if Washington, Florida State, and Michigan are unbeaten, that somehow the 4 teams in are going to include Georgia AND Alabama if Bama wins. So you think in my scenario, unbeaten Florida State and 1-loss Texas (who beat Bama, who would have beaten Georgia) would sit at home while BOTH Bama and Georgia got in????

Return to Top
#2291135 - 11/28/23 08:27 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Personally, i would welcome "mass hysteria in the media"........because that means ESPN, and ESPN has caused all of this stupidity.

Return to Top
#2291138 - 11/28/23 08:52 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
Hi raitch! Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that's way I think SHOULD happen, just saying I'm betting that's the way it WILL happen.

If you'll remember in the big conversation from a few years ago, I've always been in favor of a 12-team playoff. That will prevent this from happening and give the Boise States of the NCAA world a fair shot.

Return to Top
#2291139 - 11/28/23 08:54 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
But - I think it's a moot point anyway. Bama can't keep up with Georgia. Georgia will finish unbeaten.....at 15-0.

Return to Top
#2291140 - 11/28/23 08:58 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Georgia ain't winning it all. Mark my words. (However, i do agree they'll beat--maybe even smoke--Bama.) But my money's on Michigan or Oregon.

Return to Top
#2291141 - 11/28/23 09:04 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
I actually think it would be hilarious if Texas makes the playoff and wins it all.....then next year they join the SEC as the national champ and the only team that beat the national champ. smile

Return to Top
#2291142 - 11/28/23 09:05 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
I actually hope you're right about GA. I hope they don't!!!!

But back to your original question - If that occurs, there's no scenario that Texas gets in. The only other option that will occur is a 12-1 SEC champ and 3 unbeatens. Like it, love it, hate it, or somewhere in between - as is the perpetual thorn in your side, a like-record SEC champ will outrank a like-record Big 12 champ. Especially given that the loss occurred super early in the season.

Return to Top
#2291144 - 11/28/23 09:07 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
Or how's this....

Bama
Georgia
Texas
and only 1 unbeaten??????

That would really ruffle some feathers! Hahahahah

Return to Top
#2291146 - 11/28/23 09:10 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Even some of the talking heads at ESPN are saying that Texas' win over Bama will put Texas in over Bama...i'm not saying that's guaranteed, cuz who knows what 12 dudes and dudettes will do, but i think your statement that "there's no scenario that Texas gets in" is out there. I think the hysteria will occur if Texas wins, Bama wins, and Texas DOESN'T get in, but Bama does. Texas isn't TCU or Baylor.....they're a brand too, and there will be a major backlash if they don't get in in that scenario.

Return to Top
#2291147 - 11/28/23 09:12 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
And i love (not really) your "super early in the season" disclaimer.....so very SEC of you. smile Seriously though, i hear that in the media now.....like that means nothing. Early in the season, late in the season, middle of the season....i don't get it. A loss is a loss.

Return to Top
#2291149 - 11/28/23 09:13 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Out of conference losses in the SEC will NEVER be late in the season, cuz every SEC school is fighting to schedule The Citadel in November.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4