Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options Tools
#41289 - 11/06/02 11:15 PM Is it Friday yet???
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know all you BOL junkies are already swamped with compliance rules and regs and I know that hopefully all will have the Monday Holiday off...I'm just wanting to say thanks to all of you for always being there for me and being there for eachother...and thanks especially for MB and Lucy G for allowing us to wish that every day was a "Friday Frivolity" (TM) (R) ...:)

Return to Top
General Discussion
#41290 - 11/07/02 01:13 PM Re: Is it Friday yet???
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Monday off, ha. That's what I get for going to work in the private sector.

Return to Top
#41291 - 11/07/02 01:33 PM Re: Is it Friday yet???
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Monday off? Yeah, right! We do not close for Martin Luther King Day, President's Day, Good Friday, Columbus Day, or Veteren's Day. I think that is pretty much the norm around here.

Return to Top
#41292 - 11/07/02 02:20 PM Re: Is it Friday yet???
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Technically I am off. Our in-store branches open. But remembering what we said when I was in the Army, "I'll be off, off my a## and on my feet". I'll work from home on my days off. But at least it is only because I want to.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#41293 - 11/07/02 03:12 PM Re: Is it Friday yet???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ouch....

Sorry for striking a nerve with everybody, I thought this post was a good thing...

Anyway, I'm off Friday and Monday...and am playing in a Golf Tournament on Monday...Is this real "Banker's Hours!?!"

;0

Return to Top
#41294 - 11/07/02 03:33 PM Re: Is it Friday yet???
Kara S Offline
Platinum Poster
Milwaukee, WI
Off? What does that mean? The good thing is that we get floater days for the holidays we don't get off. Meaning, I can get an extra vacation day any other time!

Good luck in the Gold Tournament. I wish I could be out practicing my swing, but it is getting a TAD to cold up here in Wisconsin!

Return to Top
#41295 - 11/07/02 03:36 PM Re: Is it Friday yet???
Kara S Offline
Platinum Poster
Milwaukee, WI
I meant GOLF, not Gold!

Return to Top
#41296 - 11/07/02 03:46 PM Re: Is it Friday yet???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Having worked in all of the Financial Institutions, Banks, FSB, and now a Credit Union, I'm happy to say that there are perks to being a little different. We don't have the four day rule to deal with so not only will I be off on Monday, we're closing Friday after Thanksgiving. Life can be good.

Return to Top
#41297 - 11/07/02 03:53 PM Re: Is it Friday yet???
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
A lot of bankers in Nevada take the Friday after Thanksgiving off regularly. It's a state holiday there, called "Family Day." It's worthy of emulation, I think!
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#41298 - 11/07/02 03:59 PM Re: Is it Friday yet???
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Well that is one good thing about this company, we do get that day after Thanksgiving off! First time in a long time I haven't worked that day. So there is a bonus to the private sector (not to mention the fact that I have a job and they're not threatening to reorganize me out of existence.)

Return to Top
#41299 - 11/07/02 04:27 PM Re: Is it Friday yet???
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Take your floater tommorrow for golf- Indian Summer will be here, and it is gonna be short this year! Like one day. The weekend is boding rain.

Return to Top
#41300 - 11/07/02 04:45 PM Re: Is it Friday yet???
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
JWeiss - What four day rule??

Return to Top
#41301 - 11/07/02 05:58 PM Re: Is it Friday yet???
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
Banks cannot be closed for more than three days in a row. I seem to remember something from college Money and Banking about this being an issue during the depression - banks would close to avoid a run. The act that created the Fed (name escapes me) also included this.

So is this an urban legend, or is my memory working today?

Return to Top
#41302 - 11/07/02 06:13 PM Re: Is it Friday yet???
Michelle M Offline
Gold Star
Michelle M
So if you're closed thanksgiving and the friday after but open a half day saturday, could you get away with it?

Return to Top
#41303 - 11/07/02 06:18 PM Re: Is it Friday yet???
Anonymous
Unregistered

For those of you working on Monday, here's something to be thankful for. Be thankful you're not this guy... but if he comes into your bank, let us know.

Thu Nov 7, 8:01 AM ET

TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iranian police are looking for a phony sorcerer who conned a man into believing he was invisible and could rob banks, the Jam-e Jam newspaper said Thursday.

Customers at a Tehran bank quickly overpowered the deluded robber after he started snatching banknotes from their hands.

Appearing in court, the repentant thief said he paid five million rials ($625) to a man who gave him some spells and told him to tie them to his arm to become invisible.

"I made a mistake. I understand now what a big trick was played on me," the would-be bank robber was reported as telling the judge. His name was not given.

Return to Top
#41304 - 11/07/02 06:31 PM Re: Is it Friday yet???
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I have done extensive research and concluded that the "four day rule" is a myth. Can anyone prove me wrong??

Return to Top
#41305 - 11/07/02 07:29 PM Re: Is it Friday yet???
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
37.002 of the Texas Finance Code does say "(c) An office or operation may not remain closed for more than three consecutive days, excluding days on which the bank is customarily closed, without the banking commissioner's approval." So I believe there is a state issue here.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#41306 - 11/07/02 07:38 PM Re: Is it Friday yet???
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
OK Andy - Of course you could come up with something in Texas - but I was looking for the Federal myth???

Return to Top
#41307 - 11/07/02 07:56 PM Re: Is it Friday yet???
Anonymous
Unregistered

So this mushroom walks into this bar...the bartender says to him, "we don't serve your kind"...the mushroom answers, "why not?...I'm a fungi (fun guy)"...

Return to Top
#41308 - 11/07/02 08:39 PM Re: Is it Friday yet???
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
I can't find it right now either, but I do remember that I had to look it up several years ago. I found something similar to Andy in the CCH books (FDIC, I think) that stated that we could do it, but we had to give written notice to either the FDIC or the state.

We were closing the Friday after Thanksgiving and we got to do it one time in the 15 years that I have been here. We got a lot of complaints from people who were paid that day, but do not have an account at any bank. We also got complaints from business owners because their employees couldn't cash their checks at our bank --- mind you, no account at any bank; but we were the bad guys even though the other banks in town were open. (Excuse the rant!!) Oh well, it was nice that year.

Return to Top
#41309 - 11/07/02 09:13 PM Re: Is it Friday yet???
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
All I've come up with so far is this explanation from an examiner friend of mine:

"...being closed more than three days at a time is a by-product of the Federal Reserve and UCC clearing rules. If the Fed is open for business, and the bank is not open to do it's daily clearings and returns within the 24 hour guideline, the bank loses it's ability to return items and must make them good ........ that's why banks only close when the Fed is closed...."

Makes sense to me - but I'm still holding out that it's a law somewhere or the other.

Return to Top
#41310 - 11/07/02 09:22 PM Re: Is it Friday yet???
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
What happens during ice and snowstorms? Sometimes the power is out for days...oops! That's what disaster policies are for!

Answered my own question in mid-type!

Return to Top
#41311 - 11/07/02 09:29 PM Re: Is it Friday yet???
Ice Man Offline
Gold Star
Texas
lglover and nanwa...

Thanks for all your help and for making my Friday's...I know this is Thursday but I really like the way you'all think...disaster recovery...hmmm
Last edited by BOL User; 11/07/02 09:30 PM.
Return to Top
#41312 - 11/07/02 10:34 PM Re: Is it Friday yet???
Buddy the Elf Offline
Platinum Poster
Buddy the Elf
first lily pad on the right
So, a termite walks into a bar and says, "Is the bartender here?"

Get it?

Bar tender?

Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. I crack myself up. I actually told that joke at a conference that I was emceeing. It was way too early in the evening (read not enough cocktails consumed) and I was met with complete and total dead silence. I almost ended my joke telling there. I say almost! Because I did continue. And it wasn't pretty.

Return to Top
#41313 - 11/07/02 10:38 PM Re: Is it Friday yet???
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Leslie, its comforting to know we'll have you in the compliance field for a long time to come.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4