Skip to content
BOL Conferences

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#614633 - 10/10/06 12:51 PM Re: DA Bears!
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
The Bears are starting to remind me of '85. Urlacher is no Singletary, Jones is no Payton, but they are playing like a team of destiny.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#614634 - 10/10/06 01:28 PM Re: DA Bears!
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
how about singletary is no urlacher?

Return to Top
#614635 - 10/11/06 03:45 PM Re: DA Bears!
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Are you actually trying to say you think Brian Urlacher is better than Mike Singletary?

Return to Top
#614636 - 10/11/06 03:46 PM Re: DA Bears!
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
Urlacher does not nearly have the eyes of Singletary.

The game on Sunday was awesome - I'm wondering when the Bears will actually not beat the spread this year.

Return to Top
#614637 - 10/11/06 03:52 PM Re: DA Bears!
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:

Quote:

Are you actually trying to say you think Brian Urlacher is better than Mike Singletary?

yes

Return to Top
#614638 - 10/11/06 04:13 PM Re: DA Bears!
CubDave Offline
Diamond Poster
Urlacher is a better player than Singletary, hands down. I wasn't sure a couple years ago when he got sidetracked and tried to be Mr. Hollywood, but there is no doubt. Urlacher makes everyone on that Linebacking roster better, as well as the entire defense. Singletary was made better by Marshall and Wilson and McMichael.

Singletary was very overrated, and the ridiculous commotion Madden caused by focusing on his eyes was, well, ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong, Singletary was very valuable, and he ran the defense from the field. A great defensive field general, but physically and from a skill and speed standpoint, Urlacher is far and above.

As a player, Singletary was quite overrated.

Return to Top
#614639 - 10/11/06 04:41 PM Re: DA Bears!
WormUNB4L Offline
Gold Star
Midwest
CubDave...

As much as I love Urlacher and Singletary...and as much as I agree with the statement that Urlacher is superior athletcially, your logic is slightly flawed.

Urlacher is made a ton better by not only his fellow STUD linebacker, Lance Briggs (who may actually be better than Urlacher), but also by a dominant front line that makes him look even better. So...I would go on to say that both Singletary AND Urlacher are/were made to look a ton better by their surrounding guys.

You stick Urlacher on the Texans...and he's nothing close to what he is today with the Bears. Not to mention him possibly not even being the best LB on his own team (Briggs).

Return to Top
#614640 - 10/11/06 05:21 PM Re: DA Bears!
CubDave Offline
Diamond Poster
Worm - I can understand why you might say this, but I will disagree all day about Lance Briggs. Briggs is good, but not great by any means, and he is perceived beter than he is because he can basically roam free with no worries because Urlacher is so quick side to side and because the front 4 is so good. My only criticism of Urlacher is his tackling head on.

I think our biggest area that we differ on is on the talent level of Briggs - in my mind after watching him play every game he has ever played, he is very good, but not great - more Roosevelt Colvin than Wilber Marshall.

And instead of saying how good or bad Urlacher would be on the Texans, I would question how effective Briggs would be on a team with a mediocre line and Middle Backer.

Return to Top
#614641 - 10/11/06 07:14 PM Re: DA Bears!
WormUNB4L Offline
Gold Star
Midwest
CubDave,

Valid arguments and i think what we're doing is arguing over the proper pronunciation of potato.

However, I think you're severely overlooking Briggs and to compare him to Roosevelt Colvin is a big disgrace. Briggs makes tackles...and TONS of them...leading the team in tackles last year. Colvin was nothing more than a guy who racked up a few sacks because he would stand up alongside the ends on passing downs and rush the QB. So...at least on one point...i think Briggs is a TON better than Colvin, and in my eyes better than marshall.

As for Briggs looking better b/c he can roam free b/c urlacher is so quick...well...I don't quite see how his quickness from side to side makes Briggs better when Briggs is making more tackles from the weak side than urlacher makes from the center. I could understand this if teams were running only to Briggs' side, but that isn't the fact.

Anywho...what this really comes down to is that the Bears are a FANTASTIC team that has the best chance to win the Superbowl of any team in the league and we, as Bears fans, need something to nit pick about b/c we're used to it with the Cubs and Sox.

Go Bears!

Return to Top
#614642 - 10/11/06 07:25 PM Re: DA Bears!
CubDave Offline
Diamond Poster
Go Bears!

Return to Top
#614643 - 10/11/06 07:28 PM Re: DA Bears!
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
11 games left to play bears fans...

Return to Top
#614644 - 10/11/06 08:10 PM Re: DA Bears!
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Will they resurrect the "Superbowl Shuffle"?

I knew a guy who had a pedigreed scotty dog named "McMahon of the Bears". One year, for their Christmas card, they took a photo of the dog, wearing a jersey with McMahon's number, sunglasses, with his paw on McMahon's book. The next year, the dog had his paw on a football.

Return to Top
#614645 - 10/11/06 08:22 PM Re: DA Bears!
WormUNB4L Offline
Gold Star
Midwest
11 games left indeed.

@ Arizona = Blowout win

vs San Fran = Blowout win

BYE

vs Miami = Blowout win

@Giants = Tough game...but after watching Seattle manhandle NYG...this could also be a blowout

@NY Jets = Pretty easy victory considering the Bears pass rush and the Jets lack of a running game. Could be a trap game with the next game being

@New England = If they lose any games this year...this will definitely be one of them. This will be the biggest game of the year in the NFL regular season

vs Vikes = should be a win considering it's at home

@ Rams = Rams aren't nearly as good as their record indicates. But, being on the road...this is the other possible loss

vs Tampa = blowout

@ Detroit = blowout

vs Green Bay = blowout.

Best case scenario = 16-0, best team in history
Likely scenario = 14-2, favorite to win superbowl
Lots of injuries scenario = 12-4

Return to Top
#614646 - 10/11/06 09:33 PM Re: DA Bears!
Chiquita Banana Offline
Diamond Poster
Chiquita Banana
The banana bin
I'm already planning my next Chicago Bear tattoo. Right now I just have the logo in a discreet place (haha).

Briggs/Urlacher. If you guys remember, when Urlacher went down the other year (I think 2004 season) with repeat hamstring injuries...the entire D suffered. Please also don't forget that Urlacher often will go in as a "spy"...especially against very mobile quarterbacks. This frees up both the strongside and weakside (SAM position?) and allows the safeties to play up the line a little bit more as well.

Another key factor, in my opinion, is the healthiness of Mike Brown. While not the most quick safety, he does play smart and understands the angles that need to be taken. Peanut played a nearly flawless game against the Bills on Sunday...which is nice to see. Would like to see Vasher earn more interceptions but...hey...I'll take whatever he's doing.

Tommie Harris is turning out to be the real stud of the DLine and who would have thought that the rookie Anderson would be doing as well as he's been doing. I'm also very impressed by both Mannings.

My worries with the D will continue to be the secondary. I think they can get burned for some yardage but the fact that they tighten up nicely in the red zone speaks well.

I am curious to see how they do against more mobile quarterbacks...none so far were.

But I'm loving this season so far without a doubt!!

Now, what kind of tattoo should I get to add to the one I've got now?

(And has anyone else noticed that there are a lot more Bears fans now?)

Return to Top
#614647 - 10/11/06 09:52 PM Re: DA Bears!
CubDave Offline
Diamond Poster
Chiquita - I will agree with most of what you said, but emphatically the real special player on this D is Tommie Harris - he is the real deal. My only worry on D is Peanut Tillman. he has played ok so far, but he has a tendency to not turn around on the deep ball. D. Manning is very very impressive for a rookie out of a small school and R Manning has been great, but may face a suspension. they have a lot of nickle depth though. Anderson has been special too - loving the front line altogether, including Tank Johnson! I used to like Mike Brown a lot more than i do now - He is intelligent and helps run the defense, but i also worry about his health and question his toughness now - he does not hit/tackle like he used to. This worries me because I have seen too many Bear's safeties & CBs hit hard for a year and then turn into guys who turn sideways when they try and tackle you - Mark Carrier, Walt Harris, etc.

Return to Top
#614648 - 10/12/06 12:55 AM Re: DA Bears!
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
12-4 with griese? hate to admit it but i'll buy that. i haven't watched you guys play yet. i had the game on this past weekend but it turned into, well, a blowout but i was busy WoWing so even when i watched i wasn't watching like i normally do.

i think we'd give you all can handle and thensome though.

Return to Top
#614649 - 10/12/06 12:58 AM Re: DA Bears!
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:

the rookie Anderson

they stole him in the draft. not sure how he slipped so far.

Return to Top
#614650 - 10/17/06 02:06 PM Re: DA Bears!
CubDave Offline
Diamond Poster
Well, if I am a Cardinals' fan, I am happy about the future of my QB position (Leinart really looks good for a rookie), but I am calling for the head of my coach and my kicker this morning.

Unbelievable! I never gave up last night, but that was just too freaky. We got very lucky, but oh my did Urlacher add some substance to my "Urlacher is better than Singletary" argument!

Rex was awful - maybe the only thing worse was the announcing crew. I almost wish they would have just had Charles Barkley do the whole show. He may butcher grammar, but aside from his entertaining banter, I felt like I was listening to flip-flop opinions all night long, and I also felt like I was watching a lifetime achievement award special dedicated to Matt Leinart.

Return to Top
#614651 - 10/17/06 02:03 PM Re: DA Bears!
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
I agree on the announcers, CubDave. Kornheiser and Theismann are awful together....hard to watch the broadcasts.

Return to Top
#614652 - 10/17/06 02:06 PM Re: DA Bears!
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
I'm sorry I went to bed (after that fourth interception). I should have learned my lesson from years ago when Mike Brown ran back those interceptions - Never turn off a Bears game before it is over!

Since Rackers is an Illinois Alum, I think he must be a Bear fan at heart to miss those field goals.

Return to Top
#614653 - 10/17/06 02:30 PM Re: DA Bears!
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
I am not a Leinert fan so was really glad the bears one. They just kept talking about Leinert's calm confidence. They forgot to add in cockiness! He even left behind a pregnant basketball player at USC. Great guy!!!! :\

Return to Top
#614654 - 10/17/06 02:44 PM Re: DA Bears!
PRiv#6 Offline
Power Poster
PRiv#6
Anywhere I want to be
I'd include the right tackle as well. Who leaves a defensive end completely unblocked to wipe out the QB.

Return to Top
#614655 - 10/17/06 03:46 PM Re: DA Bears!
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Urlacher did look damned good last night, but I still think Singletary played just as well every down, and was a general on the field. Noone has ever matched his intensity on the field.

Grossman had his first bad game of the year. Fortunately, when the offense went to the sidelines and gave up, the defense stepped up and gave a big screw you to them and took over the game and won it.

Leinart DID look fantastic for the first half and more though.

Return to Top
#614656 - 10/17/06 03:40 PM Re: DA Bears!
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:

but oh my did Urlacher add some substance to my "Urlacher is better than Singletary" argument!

i believe i said it first.

did you hear in the post game when urlacher laughed about why he was able to make so many plays by saying the cards didn't try to block him. isn't that akin to leaving randy moss uncovered?

Return to Top
#614657 - 10/17/06 04:10 PM Re: DA Bears!
CubDave Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:

Urlacher did look damned good last night, but I still think Singletary played just as well every down, and was a general on the field. Noone has ever matched his intensity on the field.

Grossman had his first bad game of the year. Fortunately, when the offense went to the sidelines and gave up, the defense stepped up and gave a big screw you to them and took over the game and won it.

Leinart DID look fantastic for the first half and more though.

Singletary had intensity, but that perception was blown up with the whole eyes/Madden thing. Truth be told, he was not the greatest tackler in the world and could get run over by a good runner, especially when they weren't muffled by the front four. Open field - Singletary was a poor tackler.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4