Page 7 of 16 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16
Thread Options
#629533 - 10/27/06 01:00 AM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:

Also, I have no idea what you mean by: "it is a spiritual thing of which any definition can apply to the concept."

but that's the most important part!
who's spiritual definition are you supporting?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#629534 - 10/27/06 01:30 AM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Rainman,

Silly me! I simply failed to comprehend that reducing certain citizen's rights promised under their state constitution was really an expression of the degree of care, respect and love you feel for them.

The phrase "Please do not do me any favors." comes immediately to mind. I don't know how much of your care, respect and love I could stand if that is how they are expressed.

Return to Top
#629535 - 10/27/06 02:16 AM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Quote:

Straw, to answer your question...yes. My point is that we live in a country where majority rules. That doesn't make either side narrow minded or thoughtless.

Actually, our entire constitution is designed to thwart the majority.

The Senate, the electoral college, judicial review, the 2000 election, etc.

Return to Top
#629536 - 10/27/06 02:53 AM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Fraudman CFCI Offline
Power Poster
Fraudman CFCI
Land of Steady Habits
Ah, the good old 2000 election risies to the surface again. The W stole.

True colors shine! Damn that Bush guy! That....no I will not go there.

For six years this has festered. Bushy stole victory from us! And for six years, nothing he has done has ever been the right thing. And damn him for controlling the senate and the house! We cannot force our agenda on him.

We'll get this guy! We'll do whatevewr iot takes to take him down. Lie, slant stories, fake the news, anything. This is war!

Goodnight Dan! Even fake and made up stories do not work!

Return to Top
#629537 - 10/27/06 12:35 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
I see it as a simple issue of respect. For those opposed, I don't see you showing a lot of respect to these people. Period. When they can't have the same basic rights as other married couples (purely legal - not religion) then you are going to have a hard time convincing me you have respect for these couples.

The feeble attempts to link it to hatred of Bush (tiresome, but not surprising) are bizarre at best.

Return to Top
#629538 - 10/27/06 12:47 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Quote:

Ah, the good old 2000 election risies to the surface again. The W stole.

True colors shine! Damn that Bush guy! That....no I will not go there.

For six years this has festered. Bushy stole victory from us! And for six years, nothing he has done has ever been the right thing. And damn him for controlling the senate and the house! We cannot force our agenda on him.

We'll get this guy! We'll do whatevewr iot takes to take him down. Lie, slant stories, fake the news, anything. This is war!

Goodnight Dan! Even fake and made up stories do not work!

No, I mentioned the 2000 election as an example of how our system does not equate to majority rules. The 2000 election was a modern example of the electoral college at work, where the candidate who received a majority of the popular vote did not win the presidency.

Nothing about "stealing" an election; that is nonsense and it is too bad your partisan blinders are so thick you cannot see that.

Return to Top
#629539 - 10/27/06 01:15 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Quote:

Rainman,

Silly me! I simply failed to comprehend that reducing certain citizen's rights promised under their state constitution was really an expression of the degree of care, respect and love you feel for them.

The phrase "Please do not do me any favors." comes immediately to mind. I don't know how much of your care, respect and love I could stand if that is how they are expressed.

Again, this is why the state should simply get out of the marriage business. I have no problem with providing gay couples the opportunity to have all of the same legal advantages as heterosexual couples. But to call it a marriage is a societal stamp of approval; that's asking me to agree that it's right.

By your definition, in order to respect you, it appears that I have to agree that everything you do is right and good. Not just accept that you can do it, but actually approve of it. (Otherwise, why would it not be satisfactory to recognize the legal union without calling it marriage?) Sorry, but that's not respect. Respect is when we agree to disagree and work to find a mutually satisfactory solution that honors the position of both sides.

And btw, you can color it as "reducing certain citizens rights . . ." but that's a cheap way to avoid the argument about the substantive issue. Until this decision, those rights were not constitutionally recognized in NJ. The questions are: 1) was the decision a good one? and 2) what should the state do in light of this decision - marriage for all, or marriage for heteros and legally equivalent "union" for gay & lesbian couples? Apparently, you don't even want to talk about those issues, just tell people who disagree with you that it's because they hate gays.

Return to Top
#629540 - 10/27/06 01:15 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

: ____________ can marry more than one person but I can not."?

It's not that hard. Single people can marry more people than they currently have, why can't I?

It's not hard if you change the question entirely, but that isn't what I asked, is it?

Who can legally marry more than one person at a time????? Until you can answer that there is no equal protection argument for polygamy.

Who can legally marry someone of the same sex? Noone. But that question was asked and now people are demanding the right to do so. So, you can make up a question that's harder to answer, or you can except that the next questions coming down the pipeline (maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but some day and for the rest of our lives) will be polygamy, incest, and beastiality.

Here's another answer for you since you only want a fill in the blanks.

" Divorcees can marry more than one person, but I cannot."

The problem is, it's not so simple.

Return to Top
#629541 - 10/27/06 01:18 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

I see it as a simple issue of respect. For those opposed, I don't see you showing a lot of respect to these people. Period. When they can't have the same basic rights as other married couples (purely legal - not religion) then you are going to have a hard time convincing me you have respect for these couples.

The feeble attempts to link it to hatred of Bush (tiresome, but not surprising) are bizarre at best.

Marriage isn't a RIGHT, it is a SACRAMENT.

Return to Top
#629542 - 10/27/06 01:21 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

Only if you are religious. I have a certificate of "marriage" from the mayor who married us, in a civil ceremony. It is actually a legal and binding agreement, which is why if you get divorced, you must go through the courts.

Return to Top
#629543 - 10/27/06 01:43 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Until the government gets out of marriage it isn't a sacrament it's a legal institution. If it were only about religion there would be no lisence requirements and it wouldn't matter who married you.

Return to Top
#629544 - 10/27/06 02:23 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:

The 2000 election was a modern example of the electoral college at work, where the candidate who received a majority of the popular vote did not win the presidency.

I'll admit that my American History is a tad rusty, but I seem to remember at least 2 other occurrences where teh electorla college voted against the majority. There is no guarantee in our system that says the popular vote will elect the president...

Return to Top
#629545 - 10/27/06 02:40 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:

be very careful here, BF. are you saying we should codify christianity's take on marriage? we can't you know. follow my dialougue with rainman in this thread if you don't see where this is going.

Return to Top
#629546 - 10/27/06 02:39 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Oh, thank God you are here, Ron - who knows what kind of chicanery we might get into otherwise!!!

LOL

Return to Top
#629547 - 10/27/06 02:44 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Oh, thank God you are here, Ron - who knows what kind of chicanery we might get into otherwise!!!

LOL

I was thinking the same thing. Does this mean the end of the world is upon us?

Return to Top
#629548 - 10/27/06 02:44 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
A_G Offline
10K Club
Quote:

chicanery

Are the word of the day threads starting again? DQ - what ever happened to those?

Return to Top
#629549 - 10/27/06 03:07 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

Quote:

chicanery

Are the word of the day threads starting again? DQ - what ever happened to those?

I do like that word, AG!

Return to Top
#629550 - 10/27/06 03:18 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:

Quote:

LOL

I was thinking the same thing. Does this mean the end of the world is upon us?

so what do you make the argument i suggested other than your hypocritical insult, SP?

Return to Top
#629551 - 10/27/06 03:20 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

chicanery

I do like that word, AG!

Strategery is one of my favorites!!

Return to Top
#629552 - 10/27/06 03:14 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Quote:

Exactly! Neither definition is less "spiritual" or "religious" than the other. They simply come from opposing spiritual or religious viewpoints.

Return to Top
#629553 - 10/27/06 03:31 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:

Quote:

Exactly! Neither definition is less "spiritual" or "religious" than the other. They simply come from opposing spiritual or religious viewpoints.

so i think we are on the same page?

but to say marriage is only between a man and a woman will require an amendment to be sure. this comes down to christian-based people not wanting others to call their unions "marriage". all semantics from where i sit. like i said, i only care that people are treated equally and fairly.

Return to Top
#629554 - 10/27/06 03:26 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Or it comes down to other people wanting "christian-based people" to call their unions "marriage" (which hasn't been the case before and requires a change in the law).

Return to Top
#629555 - 10/27/06 03:27 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Or it comes down to other people wanting "christian-based people" to call their unions "marriage" (which hasn't been the case before and requires a change in the law).

I'm not sure I follow what you are saying. Can you elaborate, please?

Return to Top
#629556 - 10/27/06 03:33 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Remember, our laws are based on Christian principles from Christian peoples. So, marriage was already defined as a union of man and wife. Until now, everyone understood that, just as everyone understood that a woman is an adult female. Until recently, it didn't NEED an explanation.

Return to Top
#629557 - 10/27/06 03:54 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Chiquita Banana Offline
Diamond Poster
Chiquita Banana
The banana bin
I don't get it. I really don't. My dad and his partner were together 23 years until he died. If they had gotten married or had a legal civil union...who does it hurt?

I see a lot of back and forth here and I'm trying to give a real life look at it. As a child of a gay parent, I have experienced and witnessed such unimaginable hate from people. It's amazing that so many people act the way they do over something so...silly. When it comes down to it, we're talking about adults who are in love and want to share their lives together. They want equal protection that other couples have under the law.

All I ask for those people that oppose civil unions (I call it marriage but let's take baby steps here. You can't change the world over night) is to have some empathy. Imagine what it's like to be on the receiving end of such disdain and sometimes hate. Just imagine it.

Return to Top
Page 7 of 16 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16