#629583 - 10/27/06 06:25 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
Quote:

Quote:

CB,

What I think is that all these people who fight giving basic rights to gay couples create a culture that allows the cruelty you have experienced to fester and grow. I hope one day our nation can move past things as insignificant as who we each choose to love and share our lives with and focus on real problems in our nation.

See here's the problem, it's not just about "who you love". It's HOW you love and what KIND of love. It's fine for a man to love a man or a woman to love a woman. It is fine for a mother to love her son. It is NOT fine for a mother to marry her son. This is an abomination against God. Allowing our government to say incest is just fine and dandy shouldn't happen. Homosexual marriages are the same.
Love all you want, but do not give out kudos for sex with whatever you want or marriage to whatever you want.

BF...just to clarify...

Please tell me you're not comparing homosexuality to incest.....????

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#629584 - 10/27/06 06:28 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
A_G Offline
10K Club
Quote:

"The unrighteous shall not inherit God's kingdom. Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who lie with men, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, nor thieves, nor covetous..."

Based on that I'd say 99.9% of the world is not going to inherit God's kingdom.

Return to Top
#629585 - 10/27/06 06:29 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

CB,

What I think is that all these people who fight giving basic rights to gay couples create a culture that allows the cruelty you have experienced to fester and grow. I hope one day our nation can move past things as insignificant as who we each choose to love and share our lives with and focus on real problems in our nation.

See here's the problem, it's not just about "who you love". It's HOW you love and what KIND of love. It's fine for a man to love a man or a woman to love a woman. It is fine for a mother to love her son. It is NOT fine for a mother to marry her son. This is an abomination against God. Allowing our government to say incest is just fine and dandy shouldn't happen. Homosexual marriages are the same.
Love all you want, but do not give out kudos for sex with whatever you want or marriage to whatever you want.

BF...just to clarify...

Please tell me you're not comparing homosexuality to incest.....????

You will notice he also de-personalizes those in gay relationships,

Return to Top
#629586 - 10/27/06 06:33 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Lip Gloss Offline
Diamond Poster
Lip Gloss
Texas
You are right about the 99.9%, but that is what repentance is for right??

Return to Top
#629587 - 10/27/06 06:35 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

You are right about the 99.9%, but that is what repentance is for right??

I think you are missing the point.

Return to Top
#629588 - 10/27/06 06:35 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Quote:

"The unrighteous shall not inherit God's kingdom. Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who lie with men, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, nor thieves, nor covetous..."

Absent the redemptive work of Christ, the number is 100%.

CB, I agree with you that it is cruel for someone to tell a child that their parent is going to [censored], whatever moral failing the person is taking upon themselves to judge. That is not what Christ asked his followers to do. However, my position that society has a right to define what marriage is, and my position that marriage ought to be defined as one man and one woman, is not cruel, and it is not responsible for the boneheaded statements that anyone else might make.

That is as ludicrous as saying that anyone who criticized Janet Reno is responsible for the OKC bombing.

Return to Top
#629589 - 10/27/06 06:40 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Absent the redemptive work of Christ, the number is 100%.

CB, I agree with you that it is cruel for someone to tell a child that their parent is going to [censored], whatever moral failing the person is taking upon themselves to judge. That is not what Christ asked his followers to do. However, my position that society has a right to define what marriage is, and my position that marriage ought to be defined as one man and one woman, is not cruel, and it is not responsible for the boneheaded statements that anyone else might make.

That is as ludicrous as saying that anyone who criticized Janet Reno is responsible for the OKC bombing.

I find plenty of your analysis ludicrous, too. You are the Yin to my Yang.

Return to Top
#629590 - 10/27/06 06:42 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Lip Gloss Offline
Diamond Poster
Lip Gloss
Texas
I don't think I'm missing any point. I was merely stating the reason I believe so many Christians are opposed to gay marriage or union or whatever you want to call it.

Return to Top
#629591 - 10/27/06 06:53 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Quote:

Quote:

CB,

What if my God doesn't believe this?

Return to Top
#629592 - 10/27/06 06:43 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Lip Gloss Offline
Diamond Poster
Lip Gloss
Texas
There is only one God!

Return to Top
#629593 - 10/27/06 06:47 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

I don't think I'm missing any point. I was merely stating the reason I believe so many Christians are opposed to gay marriage or union or whatever you want to call it.

So they straight people can be saved fomr their sins through redemption, but if you're gay there is no saving you?

Return to Top
#629594 - 10/27/06 06:48 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Lip Gloss Offline
Diamond Poster
Lip Gloss
Texas
They can be saved if they repent.

Return to Top
#629595 - 10/27/06 06:48 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

CB,

Mine doesn't believe it. Mine says that all sins are equal in the eyes of the Lord and that all humans are sinners.

Return to Top
#629596 - 10/27/06 06:51 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Lip Gloss Offline
Diamond Poster
Lip Gloss
Texas
Only one man was perfect. We all sin no matter how we try to obide the rules.

Return to Top
#629597 - 10/27/06 07:08 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Quote:

Only one man was perfect.

Although I come close

Return to Top
#629598 - 10/27/06 07:02 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Quote:

Only one man was perfect.

Although I come close

I thought she was talking about you.

Return to Top
#629599 - 10/27/06 07:05 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Lip Gloss Offline
Diamond Poster
Lip Gloss
Texas
I've not met you so I can't say you are perfect. Although you could be I guess. But then if you were you could do miracles right??

Return to Top
#629600 - 10/27/06 07:16 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

CB,

Mine doesn't believe it. Mine says that all sins are equal in the eyes of the Lord and that all humans are sinners.

And my God doesn't believe that all humans are sinners.

Return to Top
#629601 - 10/27/06 07:12 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

CB,

And my God doesn't believe that all humans are sinners.

I'm one of the people on here who isn't bothered by that at all.

Return to Top
#629602 - 10/27/06 07:45 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Quote:

And btw, you can color it as "reducing certain citizens rights . . ." but that's a cheap way to avoid the argument about the substantive issue. Until this decision, those rights were not constitutionally recognized in NJ. The questions are: 1) was the decision a good one? and 2) what should the state do in light of this decision - marriage for all, or marriage for heteros and legally equivalent "union" for gay & lesbian couples?

Then let's discuss the substantive issues:

In the New Jersey constitution; Article 1, p. 1 says that people have the natural and unalienable right to obtain and pursue happiness. In the NJ Anti-Discrimination Act, it is prohibited to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation (among other classifications) in access to government services and public accommodation,

There are 2 main issues from the petitioners side:
1.if marriage is defined strictly as between opposite sexes, then couples are denied the right to marry the person of their choice, and so have no real right to marry. Prohibiting them from a real right to marry, violates, the plaintiffs argue, both the constitution and the anti-discrimination act.
2.the Domestic Partnership Act gives, some, but by no means all, of the benefits and protections automatically granted to married persons, and where the protections fail, there is no effective recourse. (I guess the short way of saying this is that civil unions, as they are defined, are not an effective substitute for marriage.)

The State Attorney's arguments, or the State's 'compelling interest' in maintaining the apparent inequity, focused only on maintaining the 'traditional definition' of marriage.

Arguments/points raised by the NJ Supreme Court Justices have included:

"the state recognizes that gay couples can raise children, adopt children, send them to school, in our communities as police officers, firefighters, teachers, every profession, every trade... and after giving that particular recognition,then you say, but the tradition that still maintains or should maintain and should not be touched even under equal protection argument is that they cannot marry. Don't all of those things undercut your tradition argument?"

"The United States Supreme Court has said that separate but equal was not tenable under the U.S. Constitution. There wasn't a question of whether the majority of people agreed or did not agree with that."

At one point it seems the Justices asked the State's Attorney to specify how same-sex marriage would harm heterosexual marriage, and did not get a substantive response.

"But if there is no harm to heterosexual marriage, that is the two co-exist side by side–they're both marriage, then what is the state then resting on, just that there's been a definition for a long time?"
"You say it over and over again, it is a historical fact, as Justice Long has pointed out, that marriage has been defined as between a man and a woman, but there are other historical facts that for a long time, women were property in the marriage relationship. For a long time, euhm(?), women could not make a claim of rape against a husband. There've been lots of ways in which the traditional idea of marriage and the relationship of marriage has changed, so why whould we just simply defer?"

"Are you suggesting that the legislature has somehow determined that allowing same-sex marriage, in some way harms or diminishes mixed-sex marriage–and if that's true, what could that possibly be based? What's the factual evidence?"

"Why is the state not advancing procreation or child-rearing as rationals for this?"

My answer to your questions:
1. the decision was the correct one, or at least the correct questions are being asked.
2. The State of New Jersey should permit marriage for both mixed gender and same gender couples.

Return to Top
#629603 - 10/27/06 08:18 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Quote:

...my position that society has a right to define what marriage is, and my position that marriage ought to be defined as one man and one woman, is not cruel, and it is not responsible for the boneheaded statements that anyone else might make.

I find plenty of your analysis ludicrous, too.

I suppose that if you can't see the faults, I'll have to rely on the readers.

Return to Top
#629604 - 10/27/06 08:36 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Chiquita Banana Offline
Diamond Poster
Chiquita Banana
The banana bin
Quote:

At one point it seems the Justices asked the State's Attorney to specify how same-sex marriage would harm heterosexual marriage, and did not get a substantive response.

Because, in my opinion, there isn't one.

Quote:

"But if there is no harm to heterosexual marriage, that is the two co-exist side by side–they're both marriage, then what is the state then resting on, just that there's been a definition for a long time?"
"You say it over and over again, it is a historical fact, as Justice Long has pointed out, that marriage has been defined as between a man and a woman, but there are other historical facts that for a long time, women were property in the marriage relationship. For a long time, euhm(?), women could not make a claim of rape against a husband. There've been lots of ways in which the traditional idea of marriage and the relationship of marriage has changed, so why whould we just simply defer?"

Exactly.

Return to Top
#629605 - 10/27/06 08:51 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
I also love the people who say, "this is never going to happen" because there were a whole bunch of people saying that about things like voting rights, desegregation, banning school prayer, etc.

Return to Top
#629606 - 10/27/06 08:47 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Lip Gloss Offline
Diamond Poster
Lip Gloss
Texas
Or about going to the moon. lol

Return to Top
#629607 - 10/27/06 08:52 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Thanks, AML

So it appears that the NJ Constitution is interpreted to provide equal protection on the basis of sexual orientation. Since marriage is a "service" or benefit provided by the government, the government's action in failing to provide that benefit to same sex couples violates the constitution. That makes the case relatively straightforward. From my cursory review of the decision, I'm not going to argue with the court's reasoning on this case. (Apparently they've already created an equal protection clause in the NJ constituion even though it's not actually written in it, and have held that the equal protection applies to sexual orientation, but that's a different issue.)

My question still is, if the Domestic Partnership Act can be amended to confer all of the benefits available in marriage, why would that not be satisfactory?

Return to Top
Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16