Page 13 of 16 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16
Thread Options
#629683 - 10/30/06 09:43 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Quote:

Quote:

an 8yr old girl is not legally old enough to decide for herself. petey pedophile is SOL.

First of all, who says the 8 year old isn't old enough to decide for herself? We as a culture do. Why is this different from telling a homosexual couple that there is obviously something wrong with them deciding for themselves?

Besides, it doesn't matter who the partner is. The question is, why isn't this sexual deviation a protected class like homosexuals?

Because most can understand the difference between a child and an adult. I understand you believe that even most adults need to be taken care of like children.

The fact you don't see the difference between a child and a homosexual speaks volumes.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#629684 - 10/30/06 08:34 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Why are gay unions being compared to polygamy, incest, animals and child molesters? While you may not agree with gay unions, you're comparing apples to oranges, strawberries, grapes and peaches. What are the legal ramifications of making gay unions ok? Is it going to make a huge impact on the world? No really. The gay community isn't trying to redefine marriage; they just want to participate in a union that gives them the same rights.

First off, how is homosexuality different from incest and polygamy. I'll let you off the hook on beastiality and child molestation since the question of consent can be raised on these two issues. However, in the cases of incest and polygamy, there is no way you can say it isn't apples to apples.

By what notion can you allow two men or two women to marry and tell a mother she can't marry her 18 year old son? By what notion can you allow gays to marry but not allow Bubba to marry two sisters?

The fact is our nation has spoken out. State after State has passed laws saying Marriage is between a man and a woman. State after state has voted and said homosexual marriages should not be allowed.

Return to Top
#629685 - 10/30/06 08:36 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:

who says the 8 year old isn't old enough to decide for herself

secular society.
Quote:

Why is this different from telling a homosexual couple that there is obviously something wrong with them deciding for themselves?

religion vis-a-vis society.

Quote:

why isn't this sexual deviation a protected class like homosexuals?

because the question is moot: children cannot make binding agreements in the first place.

Return to Top
#629686 - 10/30/06 09:46 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

....to someone who likes say 8 year old little girls? After all, this is just a sexual orientation no different than homosexuality.

No, it's not.

Why not?

You're not interested in a discussion, you're just picking a fight. Go find another bridge to lurk under.

Return to Top
#629687 - 10/30/06 08:42 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

....to someone who likes say 8 year old little girls? After all, this is just a sexual orientation no different than homosexuality.

No, it's not.

Why not?

You're not interested in a discussion, you're just picking a fight. Go find another bridge to lurk under.

Truer words were never spoken.

Return to Top
#629688 - 10/30/06 09:53 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Quote:

Quote:

Why are gay unions being compared to polygamy, incest, animals and child molesters? While you may not agree with gay unions, you're comparing apples to oranges, strawberries, grapes and peaches. What are the legal ramifications of making gay unions ok? Is it going to make a huge impact on the world? No really. The gay community isn't trying to redefine marriage; they just want to participate in a union that gives them the same rights.

First off, how is homosexuality different from incest and polygamy. I'll let you off the hook on beastiality and child molestation since the question of consent can be raised on these two issues. However, in the cases of incest and polygamy, there is no way you can say it isn't apples to apples.

By what notion can you allow two men or two women to marry and tell a mother she can't marry her 18 year old son? By what notion can you allow gays to marry but not allow Bubba to marry two sisters?

The fact is our nation has spoken out. State after State has passed laws saying Marriage is between a man and a woman. State after state has voted and said homosexual marriages should not be allowed.

By what notion can you say men and women can marry? A line is drawn.

Return to Top
#629689 - 10/30/06 08:47 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
why did you insult BF by agreeing that he lives under a bridge? AML seemed to be speaking rhetorically, but you seem to insist that the rhetorical statement is like that thing where the pope speaks from the throne.

Return to Top
#629690 - 10/30/06 09:00 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

So, if states had created a separate but truly equal system, that would have been ok?

That was the court's implication, yes. "Separate educational facilities are inherently unequal. Therefore, we hold that the plaintiffs and others similarly situated for whom the actions have been brought are, by reason of the segregation complained of, deprived of the equal protection of the laws guaranteed by the Fourteenth Amendment."

Quote:

Or is that you don't have problem with judicial review when you agree with the outcome?

Let's not start questioning each others' integrity.

Quote:

Again, your issue is with how the court is applying judicial review in this context.

My issue is with how the court is inserting itself in the legislative process.

Quote:

You had no problem with the Court "creating" law as you put it in Brown. As you say, it was a common sense decision. But there were many who argued the Court was "creating" law then too.

I would have had a problem had law been created. I've shown my consistency.

Quote:

Stick to the equal protection argument. It's the right one; the judicial review is conservative chest thumping and my little tete a tete with you here is how democrats could attack it, if they had the brains to do it.

Thanks, dad, but I'll formulate my own argument, if that's ok.

Return to Top
#629691 - 10/30/06 09:05 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Affording all citizens the same rights is paramount. I don't call that legislating from the bench. I call that applying the Constitution.

Return to Top
#629692 - 10/30/06 09:10 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Quote:

Affording all citizens the same rights is paramount. I don't call that legislating from the bench. I call that applying the Constitution.

The extreme right-wing doesn't like an independent judiciary because it diminishes the dictatorial power of the executive branch. In their fascist little minds, there should be one voice that tells all what is right and wrong. The legislature would serve at the pleasure of the president and is there to give rubber-stamp approval to his policies.

Return to Top
#629693 - 10/30/06 09:14 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Quote:

The extreme right-wing doesn't like an independent judiciary because it diminishes the dictatorial power of the executive branch. In their fascist little minds, there should be one voice that tells all what is right and wrong. The legislature would serve at the pleasure of the president and is there to give rubber-stamp approval to his policies.

I heard a comedian this morning and he said he didn't know what all the fuss was about the 2008 election. He said that surely Bush will just declare himself king and all further elections will cease. That cracked me up.

And evidently we need to have someone to tell us what is right or wrong because if we start thinking for ourselves the next logical step is polygamy or beastiality.

Return to Top
#629694 - 10/30/06 10:27 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
I can see the talking points now:
* The "War on Terror" is at a critical juncture
* We can't afford to show any wavering or uncertainty to the enemy
* We can't change horses in mid-stream
* So, no more elections until the next "Mission Accomplished" banner goes up....

Return to Top
#629695 - 10/30/06 09:19 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

I can see the talking points now:
* The "War on Terror" is at a critical juncture
* We can't afford to show any wavering or uncertainty to the enemy
* We can't change horses in mid-stream
* So, no more elections until the next "Mission Accomplished" banner goes up....

And all the talking points are delivered while wearing a flight suit and dancing to "Danger Zone."

Return to Top
#629696 - 10/30/06 10:44 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
The three blind mice can't read my posts, apparently. I trust you can do better, Straw.

Return to Top
#629697 - 10/30/06 09:40 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

The three blind mice can't read my posts, apparently. I trust you can do better, Straw.

I thought we weren't supposed to question integrity. Or is that only your integrity?

Return to Top
#629698 - 10/30/06 09:46 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Quote:

Quote:

So, if states had created a separate but truly equal system, that would have been ok?

That was the court's implication, yes. "Separate educational facilities are inherently unequal. Therefore, we hold that the plaintiffs and others similarly situated for whom the actions have been brought are, by reason of the segregation complained of, deprived of the equal protection of the laws guaranteed by the Fourteenth Amendment."

Quote:

Or is that you don't have problem with judicial review when you agree with the outcome?

Let's not start questioning each others' integrity.

Quote:

Again, your issue is with how the court is applying judicial review in this context.

My issue is with how the court is inserting itself in the legislative process.

Quote:

You had no problem with the Court "creating" law as you put it in Brown. As you say, it was a common sense decision. But there were many who argued the Court was "creating" law then too.

I would have had a problem had law been created. I've shown my consistency.

Quote:

Stick to the equal protection argument. It's the right one; the judicial review is conservative chest thumping and my little tete a tete with you here is how democrats could attack it, if they had the brains to do it.

Thanks, dad, but I'll formulate my own argument, if that's ok.

Sure son if you want to be logically inconsistent, go right ahead.
Also, if you read your quote, the Court clearly states that separate is inherrently unequal. The decision left no implication that separate systems were going to pass constitutional muster.

Do you still want to form your own arguments?

Return to Top
#629699 - 10/30/06 11:44 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

... if you read your quote, the Court clearly states that separate is inherrently unequal. The decision left no implication that separate systems were going to pass constitutional muster.

But that was not your question. Your question was, IF there could be a separate AND equal system, would the Court have had reason to act. Their opinion implies that they would not. Now, maybe you believe that they would have, anyway, because they were judicial activists, and wanted to end segregation for its own sake. Maybe. But I prefer to take them at their word, Gramps.

Return to Top
#629700 - 10/30/06 10:58 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Quote:

Quote:

... if you read your quote, the Court clearly states that separate is inherrently unequal . The decision left no implication that separate systems were going to pass constitutional muster.

But that was not your question. Your question was, IF there could be a separate AND equal system, would the Court have had reason to act. Their opinion implies that they would not. Now, maybe you believe that they would have, anyway, because they were judicial activists, and wanted to end segregation for its own sake. Maybe. But I prefer to take them at their word, Gramps.

Then by all means take them at their word. And if you are having trouble understanding Brown, and its basic tenet that separate is inherently unequal, I am not sure you should be chastising judicial review in general, and equal protection decisions in particular.

Maybe you should do some more studying on the topic before you opine further?

Last edited by straw; 10/30/06 11:06 PM.
Return to Top
#629701 - 10/30/06 11:18 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Straw, come on. I think you need to read the thread again. Here is a distillation of my posts on this point:

"No state shall...deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws"...Plessy originally held that separate but equal DID satisfy the requirement. The common sense behind Brown and the failure (intentional or not) that led to Plessy was that separate but equal was never actually equal. Thus, the requirements of the Constitution were not being met...[The court did imply that separate but truly equal could have passed muster, had it actually been possible, when it said:] "Separate educational facilities are inherently unequal. Therefore, we hold that the plaintiffs and others similarly situated for whom the actions have been brought are, by reason of the segregation complained of, deprived of the equal protection of the laws guaranteed by the Fourteenth Amendment."

Now, you may disagree with my conclusions, but I don't see how you can say that I don't understand Brown, or the fact that separate but equal was impossible.

Return to Top
#629702 - 10/30/06 11:23 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Quote:

I thought we weren't supposed to question integrity. Or is that only your integrity?

in·teg·ri·ty
in-'te-gr&-tE
noun
1 : firm adherence to a code of especially moral or artistic values

You are only showing your continued struggles with reading comprehension. I didn't question your integrity. I questioned your...

abil·i·ty
&-'bi-l&-tE
noun
1 a : the quality or state of being able; especially : physical, mental, or legal power to perform

Return to Top
#629703 - 10/30/06 11:26 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Ok, you are quoting that separate is inherently unequal, but the court could go along with separate but truly euqal, and now you are saying that separate but equal is impossible.

I have seen circular logic, but never triangular logic. Congrats on your accomplishment

My original point was you agreed that Brown was dealing with a constitutional issue, but the NJ court was not and they are legislating from the bench.

I again say if your premise is they are legislating from the bench here, they were legislating from the bench in Brown. Judicial review either is legitimate or it is not.

You can argue that they are incorrect in applying constitutional protection in this case, but it is no more legislating than Brown was.

Return to Top
#629704 - 10/30/06 11:27 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

in·teg·ri·ty
in-'te-gr&-tE
noun

You are only showing your continued struggles with reading comprehension. I didn't question your integrity. I questioned your...

abil·i·ty
&-'bi-l&-tE
noun
1 a : the quality or state of being able; especially : physical, mental, or legal power to perform

Nice spin, but you know you were not questioning ability, but rather saying I was attempting to obfuscate your point by mocking Bush. Lying is really beneath you. I'm not saying I haven't seen you do it, just that it is beneath you.

Return to Top
#629705 - 10/30/06 11:28 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

in·teg·ri·ty
in-'te-gr&-tE
noun

abil·i·ty
&-'bi-l&-tE
noun

Well I didn't question your integrity earlier either, just your ability to understand.

Return to Top
#629706 - 10/31/06 02:23 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Nice spin, but you know you were not questioning ability, but rather saying I was attempting to obfuscate your point by mocking Bush.

No, I was referring to your post in which you made the non-original point that affording the same rights to all citizens is important. Since I never said otherwise, it was obvious to me that you weren't able to comprehend my posts. But, as Bob Dole would say, whatever.

Quote:

Lying is really beneath you. I'm not saying I haven't seen you do it, just that it is beneath you.

You're a real sweetheart. Enjoy your day.

Return to Top
#629707 - 10/31/06 02:28 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Ok, you are quoting that separate is inherently unequal, but the court could go along with separate but truly euqal, and now you are saying that separate but equal is impossible.

I have seen circular logic, but never triangular logic. Congrats on your accomplishment

The court never said that separate was unacceptable in and of itself. It said that because separate could never be equal, it violated the 14th amendment. This is what the court said - argue with them, not me.

Quote:

My original point was you agreed that Brown was dealing with a constitutional issue, but the NJ court was not and they are legislating from the bench.

I again say if your premise is they are legislating from the bench here, they were legislating from the bench in Brown. Judicial review either is legitimate or it is not.

You can argue that they are incorrect in applying constitutional protection in this case, but it is no more legislating than Brown was.

Straw, the difference is that there was a valid legal basis for Brown. The Constitution's demands regarding equal treatment of individuals of different race were not being met by segregated schooling. Under current NJ law, any one man can marry any one woman. There is no difference in how any individuals are being treated under that law.

Return to Top
Page 13 of 16 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16