You go, girl!!!

Return to Top
#144966 - 01/05/04 04:10 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Quote:

Way to go. I would advise chewing gum and the water trick really does work. Of course, I landed in the restroom much more often! It was worth it. My kids were worth it! Now I am super sensitive to the smell and almost can't stand to be around it at all! I seemed to go from one extreme to the other. I will keep cheering for you!

For those of you that have known me for a long time....I know I never told I smoked so stop freaking out!

And you know I WAS freaking too!!!! Just wait until I tell our mutual friend, you'll be hearing from her......

Return to Top
#144967 - 01/05/04 04:10 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
Congratulations elena - I would imagine that first weekend is the hardest - I worked for a banking center mgr that went on the patch several years ago, and she a jar over her fireplace and every day she would put the money in there she would have normally spent on cigs, and at the end of the year she went to Mexico on vacation - almost made me wish I smoked so I could stop - but then I decided that was just silly!!!
Congrats again - keep up the determination!

Return to Top
#144968 - 01/05/04 05:14 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Congratulations!!! Keep it up.

Return to Top
#144969 - 01/05/04 05:59 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
Walleye Woman Offline
Platinum Poster
Walleye Woman
Good job Elena. I am really pulling for you. My best friend smokes constantly and I worry about her. I want her to be around when we're old so we can sit in our wheelchairs and talk about the good old times.

I'd rather be fishing.

Return to Top
#144970 - 01/05/04 06:05 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Elena,

I have never smoked, but have watched my mother smoke since I was born. You have no idea how much of a burden smoking puts on your children. They are being told and taught in school how dangerous smoking is and how it can kill you and then have to go home and watch the most important person in their world engage in this self destructive activity. I was and still am terrified anytime I am around my mother and she coughs. Each time she gets sick or goes to the doctor, I worry. Even though she has cut back considerably and does not smoke around me or my children, it is always in the back of my mind. For 36 years I have carried this burden with me everyday and have been wishing the day would come when she would tell me "I've quit for good."

Keep it up, this is without a doubt the best gift you could ever give to your family.

Return to Top
#144971 - 01/05/04 07:12 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
I think your attitude and recognition that it is the right decision is the difference. Good job, girl. The hug from T-girl was awesome, wasn't it?! Keep it up!!

Return to Top
#144972 - 01/05/04 07:16 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Elena--a friend of mine in his fifties passed away from a massive heart attack Friday night. The ONLY health issue he's shown was that he smoked CONSTANTLY!! I am still very upset by his passing, but I can look at someone like you who is changing her lifestyle and will avoid this scenario and feel better. Please keep it going!!

Return to Top
#144973 - 01/05/04 09:00 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega Offline
Diamond Poster
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega
A Grant Wood painting.
Nothing worthwhile comes easy. The ones you love and the ones that love you deserve the best you they can get for as long as they can have you! Quality and quantity - what a deal!

Return to Top
#144974 - 01/05/04 09:13 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Thanks to all of you for your support. I can't emphasize enough that this is a mindset, and an ENTIRE lifestyle change. When I take T-girl to Sonic for a coke, it is my habit to roll down the window, order what we want, and then light a cigarette while we wait for our order. When I leave work and get in my car, I light a cigarette before I shift into reverse. When I play cards with my husband, when I read on the front porch....there are soooooo many TIMES that I smoke. I have had to reprogram myself to not automatically reach for them, and even though I don't have a week under my belt yet, I think that this thought process is why I will succeed this time. (And the photo of Mike on one knee at the ice rink is a pretty good incentive all by itself!)

Return to Top
#144975 - 01/05/04 09:46 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
You go girl!, i smoked for 8 years (starting at 15), i quit for my husband (then boyfriend... you know i's love when!) it was the hardest thing i've ever done. and even 3 years later i still have times when i crave a smoke... like when i see someone on tv or in a movie smoke i want to smoke... or if i'm out with friends at dinner. It's hard, but if you can survive the first month you'll make it... it takes 40 days to create a habit and 40 days to break it (or so i've heard!). Keep up the good work!!!!

Return to Top
#144976 - 01/05/04 09:59 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
My grandmother lived with us when I was 13 while she got cancer treatment. I don't think anyone who watched her waste away would ever take up the habit. That was the worst kind of death.

Out of 5 kids in my family with a father who smoked--not one of us has ever had the habit. Can't say all of us never tried a cigarette, but none of us ever "smoked."

Return to Top
#144977 - 01/05/04 10:03 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Quote:

it takes 40 days to create a habit and 40 days to break it (or so i've heard!). Keep up the good work!!!!

Funny you should point that out. I started reading A Purpose Driven Life, which is a 40 day study, the same day I quit. Coincidence?!?!?

Return to Top
#144978 - 01/05/04 10:56 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
Fork Ate Spoon Offline
Diamond Poster
Fork Ate Spoon
Between Here and There
When I first quit, the times that I craved a cig the most was when I was drinking. Man that was SOO hard not to light a cig when having a beer. So I gave up drinking as well, I honestly do not believe I would have made it had I not give both up (they go so well together ). Still have'nt had a drink or a smoke for about two years I think you already got through the worst which is the first few days. I think with all of the support from BOL and from your family you are going to easily succeed,, keep it up. Hopefully you might enspire others to maybe try and kick the habit **cough DAVE! cough cough**

Return to Top
#144979 - 01/05/04 11:32 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Quote:

Quote:

it takes 40 days to create a habit and 40 days to break it (or so i've heard!). Keep up the good work!!!!

Funny you should point that out. I started reading A Purpose Driven Life, which is a 40 day study, the same day I quit. Coincidence?!?!?

I think not! Besides, I've heard it said that coincidences are simply God's way of remaining anonymous.

Return to Top
#144980 - 01/06/04 02:15 AM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Quote:

I've heard it said that coincidences are simply God's way of remaining anonymous.

I like that! Thanks for that insight. May I use it?

Return to Top
#144981 - 01/06/04 04:08 AM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
jcrump Offline
jcrump
Texas
Quote:

Quote:

I've heard it said that coincidences are simply God's way of remaining anonymous.

Please let us all use it...it's a good one.

My husband has never smoked, but both his parents did. Just after we married, his father had a really big scare with his health and the doctors told him that he MUST stop smoking. He is in his mid-60's and had been smoking since his late teens. I was so worried about my husband as he was really frightened...and really angry. Two surgeries later, my FIL seems to be doing tremendously better, thank God.

I love the idea of sending money for the "wedding fund".

Return to Top
#144982 - 01/06/04 01:53 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Quote:

Quote:

Absolutely! Be my guest! Upon further reflection, I think the quote was actually "coincidences are simply God's way of choosing to remain anonymous."
Last edited by Steve Hoogerhyde; 01/06/04 01:55 PM.

Return to Top
#144983 - 01/06/04 02:03 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
That's a very useful quote. Where did you get it, Steve? I've shared with a good sized group here at the bank. I know they'll enjoy it and be able to apply it to many of their lives' circumstances which would otherwise be inexplicable. Thanks.

Return to Top
#144984 - 01/06/04 04:06 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Just checking in..........Still smoke free and still smiling I did think about missing a smoke when I sat down to watch CSI last night, so I went in and put on the Crest Whitestrips that I bought, and the feeling passed. Just an attitude adjustment. I have now taken to chewing on a toothbrush also. I love not having smokers breath, and when I got in my car yesterday, I asked T-girl if it has always smelled so bad. She gave me an emphatic YES, and then offered to detail it for me if I will buy the supplies, including carpet shampoo and a large bottle of Fabreeze. I think I am going to start posting once a week to this thread (or more, only if I need a shot in the arm for a boost) so I don't clutter it up. Please keep praying, it's working so well that I can't really believe it. Thank you all so much!

Return to Top
#144985 - 01/06/04 06:26 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Quote:

That's a very useful quote. Where did you get it, Steve? I've shared with a good sized group here at the bank. I know they'll enjoy it and be able to apply it to many of their lives' circumstances which would otherwise be inexplicable. Thanks.

A couple of years ago someone had e-mailed me a list of "Christian Bumper Stickers." That was one of them.

Return to Top
#144986 - 01/06/04 06:26 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
OK, don't you dare make me come in one morning and see that you have gone back to those disease makers. You will be forever banned from Cleabatsu's.

Return to Top
#144987 - 01/06/04 06:57 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Quote:

OK, don't you dare make me come in one morning and see that you have gone back to those disease makers. You will be forever banned from Cleabatsu's.

If I hadn't been determined before, I sure would be now! Banned from my favorite place? That's a fate worse than death!!! No worries Z, I already feel so much better!

Return to Top
#144988 - 01/06/04 07:30 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Tiny has been instructed to bounce you if you show up smelling of smoke of any kind.

Return to Top
#144989 - 01/06/04 07:33 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Quote:

Tiny has been instructed to bounce you if you show up smelling of smoke of any kind.

Hey now, just what are you implying, man? said in a very Tommy Chong like voice......

Return to Top
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett