Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2021625 - 06/19/15 06:21 PM ACH Company ID and SAR
Jane Morris
Unregistered

I was wondering if the "Company ID" should be included when filing a SAR that involves ACH credits? Also, does anyone know if there is a directory of these "Company ID" values? We know the ones that are for our customers that initiate ACH, but we are wondering if we can find out more about the originator of a strange series of ACH credits we are noticing here. Thanks.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2021637 - 06/19/15 06:49 PM Re: ACH Company ID and SAR
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I don't know of any database covering all of them. You might have better luck trying to contact the ODFI to see if it can give you some help.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2021676 - 06/19/15 08:20 PM Re: ACH Company ID and SAR
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
I have no idea what you are talking about, but if there is any chance it would help law enforcement research the payment include it.

Return to Top
#2021683 - 06/19/15 08:33 PM Re: ACH Company ID and SAR
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
It's a 10-character field. If it starts with the digit "1" the remaining 9 characters are supposed to be the company's EIN. If it starts with a "3", the rest of the field should be the company's DUNS (Data Universal Numbering Systems) number (whatever that is), and if it starts with a "9" it's a user-supplied number.

I'd include the number, whatever it is, just in case the law enforcement member accessing the SAR has access to a database such as the IRS's EIN listings. As Ken points out, if there is any chance ....
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2022537 - 06/24/15 03:16 PM Re: ACH Company ID and SAR
Jane Morris
Unregistered

Thanks. I was thinking it couldn't hurt to add it, so we will do that going forward.

Return to Top
#2023776 - 06/29/15 05:33 PM Re: ACH Company ID and SAR John Burnett
ItNeverEnds CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
Looking for my sanity
Originally Posted By John Burnett
I don't know of any database covering all of them. You might have better luck trying to contact the ODFI to see if it can give you some help.

The ODFI has to give you the name of the Originator and the phone number. All you need is the company ID and possibly the trace number from the ACH reports. Go to FRB ACH Participants Search , enter the partial routing number of the ODFI - the first 8 digits of the trace number - and it will give you the phone number for the ODFI's ACH department. Call it. Many large banks have automated solutions when you call, others just answer the phone. Tell them you need the name and phone number of one of their originators. They may want the company ID, trace number and sometimes date and amount of the transaction. Then they'll give you the phone number.

Then you can even call the Originator and see what other information you can obtain.

Return to Top
#2023813 - 06/29/15 06:16 PM Re: ACH Company ID and SAR ItNeverEnds CRCM
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Nice post.

Return to Top
#2023893 - 06/29/15 08:49 PM Re: ACH Company ID and SAR
ItNeverEnds CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
Looking for my sanity