Skip to content
BOL Conferences

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#2291151 - 11/28/23 09:15 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
Not to split hair - but you used that very argument on me once before! laugh grin

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2291152 - 11/28/23 09:15 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Prove it. smile

Return to Top
#2291154 - 11/28/23 09:19 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
Originally Posted by raitchjay
Even some of the talking heads at ESPN are saying that Texas' win over Bama will put Texas in over Bama...i'm not saying that's guaranteed, cuz who knows what 12 dudes and dudettes will do, but i think your statement that "there's no scenario that Texas gets in" is out there. I think the hysteria will occur if Texas wins, Bama wins, and Texas DOESN'T get in, but Bama does. Texas isn't TCU or Baylor.....they're a brand too, and there will be a major backlash if they don't get in in that scenario.

Really, though, this is the crux of the 4-team playoff. Will the backlash be greater or lesser if an SEC school doesn't get it? The argument is circular and there is no actual answer. The 4 team is little better, if any at all, than the old BCS championship game. Although, Cincy REALLY didn't do any favors for the "they deserve a fair shot" schools. lol

Return to Top
#2291155 - 11/28/23 09:20 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
Prove it. smile

You'll either have to believe me or choose not to. No way am I digging that much! lol

Return to Top
#2291156 - 11/28/23 09:20 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
'm sure you remember, i think a 4 team playoff is stupid, and i'm glad this is the last year of it. But the SEC shouldn't be immune to getting hosed like Baylor and TCU did a few years back. The SEC hasn't been the best conference this year.

Return to Top
#2291178 - 11/29/23 02:06 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
I love my Bama and really want them to beat GA. But they are going to have to stop shooting themselves in the foot. They should have beaten Auburn 44-24 but had those 2 touchdowns revoked due to penalties. They can't play like that against GA and win. I honestly think that the SEC championship game will be the only championship game we play in this year. But we have a young team with a quarterback who has steadily improved this season and two more years to play for Bama. I have high hopes for next year!

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#2291186 - 11/29/23 04:00 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario burkemi
TMatt87 Online
Diamond Poster
TMatt87
Idaho
Originally Posted by burkemi
Really, though, this is the crux of the 4-team playoff. Will the backlash be greater or lesser if an SEC school doesn't get it? The argument is circular and there is no actual answer. The 4 team is little better, if any at all, than the old BCS championship game. Although, Cincy REALLY didn't do any favors for the "they deserve a fair shot" schools. lol

Boise State and University of Utah (pre PAC 12) beating power 5 schools in their Power 6 bowl games is enough evidence to show that mid-majors deserve a puncher's chance. They probably won't win the title, but they can be a Cinderella story and play spoiler once in a while. It's always a big story in March Madness, so why wouldn't CFP want to have that dynamic with a 12 team playoff?

Return to Top
#2291190 - 11/29/23 04:31 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
Matt - I completely agree! I keep going back to the Boise era where they only lost something like 3 games in 4 years (working purely off memory - so my numbers may not be quite exact). In either case, the punchline is - They aren't good enough, but a 2-loss LSU is. I'm sooooo looking forward to next year's playoff. And it's actually coming a year too late. This would be a prime year for the expansion.

Return to Top
#2291191 - 11/29/23 04:36 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
I've been a proponent of the group of 5 having representation for at least the last decade....totally agree. I'm not happy with a system where 60% of the schools playing FBS football have zero chance to win the national championship on September 1st.

Return to Top
#2291192 - 11/29/23 04:41 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
One more thought.....it drives me absolutely nuts the way the media (that's ESPN, if it wasn't already clear) drives this narrative that what schools did last year, 2 years ago, 8 years ago, or heck, 15 years ago is somehow relevant. Has anyone been paying attention to the college football landscape the last 5 years?? NIL, transfer portal, early exits to the NFL.....the turnover rate for every team in America is insane.......WAY more turnover than the NFL. But somehow, we're all supposed to buy into this thing that "well, Team A or Conference A" was sooooooooo good last year (or last decade), that they have to be given the benefit of the doubt. Stupid. In no sport played in America is each year's a new year more true than college football.

Return to Top
#2291194 - 11/29/23 05:17 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario burkemi
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
They aren't good enough, but a 2-loss LSU is.

couldn't agree with you more! grin

Return to Top
#2291210 - 11/29/23 08:25 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
InFairness, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
InFairness, CRCM
USA
Georgia ain't winning it all. Mark my words. (However, i do agree they'll beat--maybe even smoke--Bama.) But my money's on Michigan or Oregon.

But Michigan is likely to see their wins wiped due to their cheating by stealing signals.

Return to Top
#2291211 - 11/29/23 08:27 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario burkemi
InFairness, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
InFairness, CRCM
USA
But - I think it's a moot point anyway. Bama can't keep up with Georgia. Georgia will finish unbeaten.....at 15-0.

From your lips to God's ear.

Go Dawgs!

Return to Top
#2291214 - 11/29/23 08:33 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario InFairness, CRCM
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Originally Posted by InFairness, CRCM
Georgia ain't winning it all. Mark my words. (However, i do agree they'll beat--maybe even smoke--Bama.) But my money's on Michigan or Oregon.

But Michigan is likely to see their wins wiped due to their cheating by stealing signals.

Will be interesting to see how that plays out. I don't really disagree with you, except that if it happens, i think it will be well after the games have been played. Wish they would hurry things up a bit....either Michigan should get disqualified for this year's championship now, or they should be able to keep going and win it all. I won't be a fan of the process if somehow nexts summer Michigan's championship (if it happens) is taken away. I mean.......it's stealing signs....the allegations have been out there for weeks if not months. How long is this investigation gonna take?

Return to Top
#2291216 - 11/29/23 08:35 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
InFairness, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
InFairness, CRCM
USA
I think the Big 10 took action to try and head off NCAA action, but I don't think the penalty was enough to avoid an NCAA pile-on.

Return to Top
#2291217 - 11/29/23 08:38 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
I agree with you about that.

Return to Top
#2291225 - 11/29/23 09:54 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
The problem with vacating the championship and wins is that it's basically meaningless. If it happens, the kids have already played the games. They won the games. They played in the championship. They have the memorabilia. So besides striking from the official record - what exactly are they taking away???

Return to Top
#2291232 - 11/30/23 02:06 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
stealing signs...

sounds like he's gunning for Belichik's job grin

Return to Top
#2291248 - 11/30/23 05:33 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
If he's stealing signs, he REALLY needs to get better at cheating! lol

Return to Top
#2291305 - 12/03/23 04:40 AM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Been a while since we've talked any college football, so i thought i'd throw this nightmare scenario for the College Football Playoff committee out there:

Washington runs the table and finishes as the 13-0 Pac 12 champ. (Will be tough, but definitely possible.)

Florida State runs the table and finishes as the 13-0 ACC champ. (Highly likely..)

Michigan (or Ohio State, take your pick) runs the table and finishes as the 13-0 Big 10 champ. (Highly likely that the winner of the OSU-Michigan game finishes the year unbeaten.)

Texas runs the table and finishes as the 12-1 Big 12 champ. (No worse odds than a coin flip; Texas will be favored in every game it has left on the schedule, including the Big 12 title game if they get there.)

Alabama beats Georgia in the SEC championship game. Alabama is the 12-1 SEC champ, but lost to Texas. Georgia finishes 12-1, but is not the SEC champ, and lost to Alabama (who lost to Texas).

Who are the committee's 4 playoff teams? And does the SEC get left out? (Gasp, the horror.)

So this exact scenario has come to pass. Have to assume that Michigan and Washington are absolutely in. Either Texas, Alabama or Florida State is going to feel like they got hosed. We'll find out Sunday.

Return to Top
#2291308 - 12/04/23 01:23 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
InFairness, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
InFairness, CRCM
USA
FSU did get hosed. Michigan should be ineligible because of their cheating.

Return to Top
#2291309 - 12/04/23 01:28 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Well, well, well...... So glad Bama played their best game Saturday! The CFP has decided Bama will play in the Championship playoffs. I know they put all sorts of variable in their algorithms but I do feel sorry for FSU. To be the ACC champ and undefeated this season, they had every right to expect they would be in the playoffs.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#2291310 - 12/04/23 02:09 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
I love SEC football - but even I have to say the committee is wrong. Kudos to Bama for the win, but that spot should have gone to Florida St.

Return to Top
#2291312 - 12/04/23 03:08 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
My main takeaway is this, and i've been saying it for a decade: the 4-team playoff has never made sense in a power 5 conference world. It's not that Bama, or Texas, or FSU isn't worthy.....they're all worthy of the playoff. The format has always been stupid, and the committee in past years has just gotten lucky that 4 teams usually rose above the rest. This year they didn't, and FSU gets hosed.

Return to Top
#2291313 - 12/04/23 03:17 PM Re: The CFP nightmare scenario raitchjay
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
Very true. But FSU is unbeaten. If there was any question for who is in and who is out, it really should have been between Texas and Bama, since both were 1-loss teams. There were EASILY 7 schools that could have had a bid this year, if you include Georgia and Oh St. I've said it, too - the 4-team playoff is really no better than the old style BCS 1-and-done championship game. The 12 team playoff is coming a year too late. This would have been a prime year to start.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4