Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#2294519 - 03/07/24 08:30 PM Waived Fees
Bankwoman1 Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
We currently monitor waived NSF and overdraft fees to watch for fair lending and UDAAP violations. I was asked recently if we should also be reviewing other waived fees, for example, cashier's check fees, dormant fees, account maintenance fees, etc..

Just curious, does anyone else monitor these type of waived fees and if so, what are you watching for? UDAAP or internal issues?

FYI...it was suggested by our reviewer to monitor the NSF & overdraft fees. There was no mention of monitoring for the other types of waived fees. Just wondering what waived fees others are monitoring.

Thanks!

Return to Top
General Discussion
#2294522 - 03/07/24 08:57 PM Re: Waived Fees Bankwoman1
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If you do not have standards set, you always are at a risk of some sort of fair banking allegation. Also, if you are waiving dormant account fees, you could be jeopardizing your entire unclaimed property compliance. Many State have provisions similar to this:

(3) A holder may not impose with respect to property described in subsection (1) of this section any charge due to dormancy or inactivity or cease payment of interest unless:
(a) There is an enforceable written contract between the holder and the owner of the property pursuant to which the holder may impose a charge or cease payment of interest;
(b) For property in excess of two dollars ($2.00), the holder, no more than three (3) months before the initial imposition of those charges or cessation of interest, has given written notice to the owner of the amount of those charges at the last known address of the owner stating that those charges will be imposed or that interest will cease, but the notice provided in this section need not be given with respect to charges imposed or interest ceased before the effective date of this chapter; and
(c) The holder regularly imposes such charges or ceases payment of interest and does not regularly reverse or otherwise cancel them or retroactively credit interest with respect to the property..

Return to Top
#2294547 - 03/08/24 01:07 PM Re: Waived Fees Bankwoman1
Bankwoman1 Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Thank you Randy - we definitely need to have a conversation regarding the waiving of all fees. As for the dormancy fee, I appreciate the information. It did not state state anything about the reversal of dormancy fees in the section of the Indiana Code where I was initially looking but after your message, I was finally able to find it!

I appreciate the information.

Return to Top