BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#2298769 - 06/26/24 05:53 PM Currency from Fed
IUalum Offline
Platinum Poster
IUalum
Kentucky
Old man rant ahead!

The past couple of years our currency shipments from the Fed have been a complete mess. The bills in the bundles are turned every which way - backwards, upside-down, etc. Our tellers have to go through every single bundle and face them correctly before we put them in the ATM or even give them out to customers, which is very time consuming. I guess times have changed and most banks aren't as anal they used to be about such things. But back in the day we'd get a call from the Fed if our currency was shipped to them in such condition.

Has anyone else noticed this? Does it bother anyone besides me? Or do I just need to go back to guarding my yard from my front porch?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#2298773 - 06/26/24 06:34 PM Re: Currency from Fed IUalum
SmallBankBSA Offline
100 Club
I wish to go to your ATM to get cash all facing the same direction!
Anytime I take cash out of an ATM recently it seems the cash is dispensed the way you describe.
it is sad
not only at the ATM but in the branches i've seen it as well. I'm not retail so it's not my job to say anything but i've noticed and it does bother me.

Return to Top
#2298775 - 06/26/24 06:58 PM Re: Currency from Fed IUalum
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted by IUalum
Our tellers have to go through every single bundle and face them correctly before we put them in the ATM or even give them out to customers, which is very time consuming.

why? ATMs dispense regardless of direction. a $20 from a teller is a $20 be it right side up or upside down. but cash processing technology is well past needing all the bills face up and facing same direction.

now, i personally like all my bills to face the same way, and when they dispense from the ATM i make them all face the same way as i count to validate the correct amount was dispensed.

Return to Top
#2298778 - 06/26/24 07:09 PM Re: Currency from Fed HappyGilmore
IUalum Offline
Platinum Poster
IUalum
Kentucky
Originally Posted by HappyGilmore
why?

Because the president wants it that way and it looks more professional. Shrug.

Return to Top
#2298843 - 06/28/24 01:23 PM Re: Currency from Fed IUalum
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted by IUalum
Originally Posted by HappyGilmore
why?

Because the president wants it that way and it looks more professional. Shrug.
you know, Mick and the boys have a song about can't always get what you want...mention that to the president. how many customers have actually complained about having "gasp" bills facing different directions?

Return to Top
#2298844 - 06/28/24 01:33 PM Re: Currency from Fed IUalum
Bankwoman1 Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
When I started in banking we were trained to keep all our bills facing the same direction and to count by looking at the president on the bill. This helped us catch any bills where the corners were cut and added to a smaller denomination, such as the $50 bill with Abraham Lincoln we once received in a deposit. This must not happen as often anymore with the new bills, who knows, but I still do this with my own money and it drives me crazy to see teller drawers with their cash going all different directions today. It's just not trained like it used to be...

Some habits are hard to break!

Return to Top
#2298847 - 06/28/24 01:52 PM Re: Currency from Fed IUalum
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If your president wants to pay employees to sort bills, I think that is his prerogative. Unless your branches are different than the ones that I have been to lately, there is plenty of slack time. Or if you have a central vault, invest in one of these: https://prod.cumminsallison.com/us/en/products/currency-handling/mps4200 There are probably less expensive automated solutions also.

Return to Top