Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2299381 - 07/16/24 03:32 PM Agricultural Property
Luv2run Offline
Platinum Poster
Good afternoon.

We have a property that has a dwelling located on 88 acres of land. The land is used for the production of maple syrup. There is occasional logging as well as the grove is maintained properly. This is the borrower's business. My question is, does the growing of maple trees, and subsequent tapping for maple syrup fit into the "agricultural" use definition. I am leaning toward yes, but thought I would see if anyone has a differing opinion or has run into this in the past.

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2299385 - 07/16/24 03:54 PM Re: Agricultural Property Luv2run
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Reg. C references Reg. Z for it's ag. purpose exemption:

8. Agricultural purpose. An agricultural purpose includes the planting, propagating, nurturing, harvesting, catching, storing, exhibiting, marketing, transporting, processing, or manufacturing of food, beverages (including alcoholic beverages), flowers, trees, livestock, poultry, bees, wildlife, fish, or shellfish by a natural person engaged in farming, fishing, or growing crops, flowers, trees, livestock, poultry, bees, or wildlife. The exemption also applies to a transaction involving real property that includes a dwelling (for example, the purchase of a farm with a homestead) if the transaction is primarily for agricultural purposes.

I think it fits as ag. purpose....but of course, it is ultimately mixed use property, so you'd probably need to determine the primary use of the property.

Return to Top

Moderator:  SMQ, CRCM