burned out!)

Return to Top
General Discussion
#57602 - 01/29/03 05:18 PM Re: TRAINING... jokes please
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Give them this test, and then tell them compliance is easier.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#57603 - 01/29/03 05:18 PM Re: TRAINING... jokes please
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Not a joke, but whenever I do ECOA training, I do a magic trick called "Professor's Nightmare" where 3 ropes of different length are transformed into three ropes of equal length and finally end up back as three different length ropes. The patter I use during the trick relates how even though there are differences, we need to treat individuals as equals and when we do that, they will really seem to be equal.

Return to Top
#57604 - 01/29/03 05:20 PM Re: TRAINING... jokes please
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Stolen from an old friend: "The TILA disclosure must be given out prior to consummation. But, that's not as much fun as it sounds like."

He always delivered the line in his normal tone and cadence, never pausing. Depending on how alert the audience is, there will be a slight delay and then 2 people out of every 15 will break up. (The others will simply stare at them.)

Return to Top
#57605 - 01/29/03 05:52 PM Re: TRAINING... jokes please
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Andy,
Thanks, that will be just fine when I hand out the Q&As...

Return to Top
#57606 - 01/29/03 05:54 PM Re: TRAINING... jokes please
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Ken,
Thanks, from what I've been told (I'm new here)
I'll be getting a lot of those blank stares anyway!

Return to Top
#57607 - 01/29/03 06:44 PM Re: TRAINING... jokes please
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
I buy six different types of candy bars and give one to each person with their training packets. It breaks the ice because people start trading the different candy bars as soon as they get into the room. By the time I start speaking they're relaxed and in a great mood.

I also have toys on the table to play with. Things like parachute men, toy airplanes, jacks, slinkeys, etc. It's funny how much adults like to play with toys. My classes are always very well attended, and given the yawner of a subject (CRA) that's pretty amazing.

Oh one more thing...my opening screenshot is a Welcome, on top of a picture of my future puppy. That also starts the class talking

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#57608 - 01/29/03 06:47 PM Re: TRAINING... jokes please
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
I have used a cartoon shot on some of my presentations - one I had was a room full of bankers surrounded by stacks of paper and the caption was "Can we get started please; the examiners have found some discrepancies...." and the other was a business guy sitting on Santa's lap and the caption was "All I want for Christmas is a good compliance exam." I also used those on my exams - if there were problems I'd use the first one and if it was a good one I'd use the 2nd one and say "Merry Christmas!"

Return to Top
#57609 - 01/29/03 07:10 PM Re: TRAINING... jokes please
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
OK, Jim,
I am not quite the magical person. How do you do that?

Return to Top
#57610 - 01/29/03 07:11 PM Re: TRAINING... jokes please
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a fairly funny powerpoint display that would take about a minute or two to scroll thru. If interested, I could regualr e-mail it to you.

Return to Top
#57611 - 01/29/03 07:22 PM Re: TRAINING... jokes please
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Knowing Jim, very well, I'm sure.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#57612 - 01/29/03 07:22 PM Re: TRAINING... jokes please
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Hey babe:
Are those cartoons accessible via email?

Return to Top
#57613 - 01/29/03 07:25 PM Re: TRAINING... jokes please
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Thanks Dawnie,
I have the toy thing down, including stuffed animals
and the rubber chicken (we throw them at people, usually
the ops people who will be with me). Candy, you mean
I have to share my candy???

Return to Top
#57614 - 01/29/03 07:36 PM Re: TRAINING... jokes please
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
I'm sorry, I don't have them on email. Actually, I'm not even sure I have them at all anymore. But you could get someone who's good at clipart or photoshop or something to draft one up for you?

Return to Top
#57615 - 01/29/03 07:36 PM Re: TRAINING... jokes please
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
NEVER share your candy! Increase your budget so you can buy more! (My candy budget confuses the boss but he still approves it) "You need 300 tootsie rolls and a super soaker? Well ok, if it's for CRA" heh heh

Return to Top
#57616 - 01/29/03 07:46 PM Re: TRAINING... jokes please
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
That's cool, I'll do it, and when people
wonder why I'm playing, I'll say:
"It's for training, honest..."

Return to Top
#57617 - 01/29/03 07:50 PM Re: TRAINING... jokes please
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
I think when I started writing off duct tape in bulk the bank gave up trying to question me. This month I've purchased a scottish knife, 2 yards of silk and a bottle of whiskey on my expense account. Last month is was bread teddy bears and baskets as well as bubbles and cheesecake. Even accounting quit calling to quiz me after about six months.

Follow my lead, keep 'em confused! It's all for the good of the bank

Return to Top
#57618 - 01/29/03 07:57 PM Re: TRAINING... jokes please
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Professor's Nightmare is a commercially available magic trick carried in almost every magic shop in the country. If you go in and buy it, the magic shop dealer should even show you the proper handling. Then just practice, practice, practice. If you don't have a local magic shop, you can purchase it from a magic shop on the internet. Go to Google.com and search on magic shop. I won't get into recommending one online dealer over another in this forum.

Return to Top
#57619 - 01/29/03 08:02 PM Re: TRAINING... jokes please
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Dawnie, I think you qualify for a SAR just for the list of things you're buying .

Return to Top
#57620 - 01/29/03 08:21 PM Re: TRAINING... jokes please
Anonymous
Unregistered

You really are crazy, huh? I thought maybe I just entered into this forum while you were having a looney day or two - but I think now I can tell you are for real. I like that! Well, I gotta run and do one of the funner parts of my job - tape a radio commercial. Must put on my real important director's hat and pray that our owner's voice isn;t too gravely today. Chat with ya later.

Return to Top
#57621 - 01/29/03 08:31 PM Re: TRAINING... jokes please
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Pretty creative up there in Anchorage... it must be those long nights!

Return to Top
#57622 - 01/29/03 09:14 PM Re: TRAINING... jokes please
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Heh Heh, people don't normally forget the bank that sends out the Red Headed Bubble Lady Especially if she's buying the whiskey. (We're a major sponsor of the Haggis Bashers Ball).

I wouldn't say crazy...just umm creatively excentric? LOL I never was good at the stuffy banker image

Return to Top
#57623 - 01/29/03 09:18 PM Re: TRAINING... jokes please
Christina Offline
100 Club
Christina
Midwest
If you need an icebreaker, try creating a bingo board with different traits, experiences, talents, etc....For example: has been to Greece, loves to cook, hates to cook, rides motorcycles, has been to the Olympics, allergic to cats, colors the grey, quotes Chaucer, etc....Participants can do a quick mixer and write the name of the person in the sqare. Whoever gets a BINGO first, wins a prize. You can also do it as a group effort...everyone introduces themselves and has to pick one square, multiple names in squares allowed. If the group can create a bingo, reward them with an extra 10 minutes for break or lunch, etc.

This is another fun trick, but not nearly as cool as Jim's magic. I use this for several sessions, whether it is sales, customer service, or regs.

Give participants a piece of paper and tell them the paper represents the topic. Invite them to cut a hole out of the paper that indicates either their knowledge or lack of knowledge on the topic, or whatever you want the hole to represent. Typically, participants will fold the paper in half and cut a circle like you would for creating a valentine. As you do your introduction, you'll do the same thing, but get a much different result.

Before training begins, without participants present:
1. Fold an 8.5x11 piece of paper in half (creating 8x5.5)
The 5.5" ends are the sides, the 8" ends are the top and bottom. The bottom is the part that is folded.
2. Beginning about a half-inch from the side, cut along the bottom fold to about a half-inch from the other side. If you were to open the paper back up, you would have a small slit running across the middle of the paper. While the paper is folded, it shouldn't look any different from an un-cut paper.
During your introduction:
3. You will cut from the bottom to the top beginning an inch from the side. Stop about a half-inch from the top. Then, cut from the top to about a half-inch from the bottom. You'll do this all the way across the paper. Your end result will look like a zig-zag. You will not cut the paper in half. When you unfold the paper, you will have created a HUGE "hole" in the paper. Depending on how you cut, you can end up with a pretty big circle of paper. (at least a foot or two in diameter, if not more) You can use this to represent the knowledge they will learn, the amount of information avaliable on the topic, etc. It usually gets oos and ahs from the crowd.

This is much easier to demo than to write, but I hope it works - good luck.

Dawnie - I'm going to the toy store tonight - too fun!

Return to Top
#57624 - 01/29/03 09:33 PM Re: TRAINING... jokes please
Angel Eyes Offline
Power Poster
Angel Eyes
Try looking here BOL Office Humor!

Return to Top
#57625 - 01/29/03 09:53 PM Re: TRAINING... jokes please
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not a joke, but in re candy: I always do "smarties" (rolled tart candy) for correct answers and "dum dums" (suckers) for incorrect ones. Always well received.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2