Thread Options Tools
#80792 - 05/19/03 01:46 PM Re: Cub Plug
Starky Offline
100 Club
Starky
Arkansas
Quote:

Is anyone else frightened by Lil's Big SMILEY face? tee hee hee

Dawnie, I was thinking the same thing Friday. Everytime it showed up on a thread, it kind of freaked me out. It looks like it would eat the smaller smiley on these threads, like this one.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#80793 - 05/19/03 02:25 PM Re: Cub Plug
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
I made the road trip all the way to St. Louis yesterday to see the Cubs... I did not travel all that way to see Alfonseca blow the game by not knowing how to throw to first.
Oh well, Cubs still lead the division.

Return to Top
#80794 - 05/19/03 02:50 PM Re: Cub Plug
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's right, still in 1st! And give Alfonseca a break - it's not easy to grip the ball when you have 6 fingers (plus, did you see Pujols cheat and run 5 feet inside the baseline!)

Return to Top
#80795 - 05/19/03 02:58 PM Re: Cub Plug
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
I did see Pujols cheat....and I got yelled at by a Stadium Attendant when I was trying to "politely" inform the 3rd base umpire of that fact.

Return to Top
#80796 - 05/19/03 03:01 PM Re: Cub Plug
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
What!? You can't yell baserunning instructions at the players any more?? A few idiots spoil it for the rest of us umpire wannabes!

Return to Top
#80797 - 05/19/03 03:13 PM Re: Cub Plug
Mr. Clean Offline
Platinum Poster
Mr. Clean
New England
I just want you to know I watched the Sat. game (Cubs 2- St. L 1) and cheered for the Cubbies per our agreement.. did you watch any Mariners? How about the Boston game on Sat. where Nixon threw the ball to a fan with only two outs !!

Return to Top
#80798 - 05/19/03 03:21 PM Re: Cub Plug
Anonymous
Unregistered

I did in a sense - didn't get a chance to see the game but watched the highlights and was impressed by Mr. Boone performing as he apparently predicted, and by my favorite ex-Cub lefty. But I gotta say, could any team have more Pacific Rim guys responsible for a victory than the Mariners? I mean, between Suzuki, Hasegawa, and Sasaki, all you were missing was for Sadahara Oh to show up at the plate! (and I did see Nixon's gaffe - cracked me up - 2nd worst Nixon screwup since Richard Milhous!)

Return to Top
#80799 - 05/19/03 03:24 PM Re: Cub Plug
Tom C Offline
100 Club
South of Boston
Hey! Leave my Red Sox alone! They just came away from taking 3 from the Rangers and 1 from the Angels and now they have to face a series with the dreaded Yankees. Oh , just incase you hadn't noticed , they are tied with the Yanks for first place! Go Red Sox!

Return to Top
#80800 - 05/19/03 03:27 PM Re: Cub Plug
tomn Offline
tomn
troy ny
But, when all is said and done, baseball's only shrine is "the house that Ruth built". There is only one true stadium icon. yup, Yankee Stadium with Monument Park.. just ask any visiting player what his reaction was the first time he played there. Bet he went early and visited Monument Park! But Go Cubs anyway!

Return to Top
#80801 - 05/19/03 03:48 PM Re: Cub Plug
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Doubt it! Most young players think Babe Ruth was a fictional character.

Return to Top
#80802 - 05/19/03 04:18 PM Re: Cub Plug
EllenA Offline
Platinum Poster
EllenA
Flushing, NY
Couple of years ago, I was vacationing in beautiful Cape Cod and, of course, my husband was listening to sports radio in the car. They were discussing how "we" were just 4 out and should be able to catch up to them soon. I'm thinking "catch up.... when did we slip up????? and then I remembered where we were.

Return to Top
#80803 - 05/20/03 04:29 PM Re: Cub Plug
jack Offline
100 Club
jack
USA
A bit late to this discussion, but a few thoughts to add:

- Having visited at least 17 mlb parks, mostly in the east and Midwest, I have to agree with the Cubs fans that Wrigley is the best ballpark (that I’ve been to). Nothing is quite the same as a mid-week afternoon game at the friendly confines.

- Minor league games are fun too, and some of the stadiums are real standouts. For anyone interested in visiting different minor league parks, consider a subscription to Minor Trips

- Lastly, EllenA, I’ve been to Shea stadium plenty of times and have always done the whole pass-the-money-to-the-vendor routine without incident, especially with the crazy fun peanut guy who throws the bags behind his back, across sections, to the mezzanine, etc.

Return to Top
#80804 - 05/20/03 04:37 PM Re: Cub Plug
Mr. Clean Offline
Platinum Poster
Mr. Clean
New England

Quote:

- Having visited at least 17 mlb parks, mostly in the east and Midwest, I have to agree with the Cubs fans that Wrigley is the best ballpark (that I’ve been to). Nothing is quite the same as a mid-week afternoon game at the friendly confines.

Oh great, now you've armed CubDave with more rant material..

Return to Top
#80805 - 05/20/03 04:48 PM Re: Cub Plug
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nah - I never expected this post to garner so much attention. The boys in blue would be proud!

Return to Top
#80806 - 05/20/03 06:21 PM Re: Cub Plug
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
Hey! How 'bout those Mavs! And just a little late....Rangers vs. Yanks (Can u say Saaawwweeeep!!!!)

Return to Top
#80807 - 05/20/03 06:30 PM Re: Cub Plug
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
Hey! Watch the SMILEY comments...I've never had bragging rights to "the biggest one on the block" and I have never been accused of scaring anyone - except my husband first thing in the morning . I'm 5'1" / 106 lbs, it feels good to finally be big and scary!

Return to Top
#80808 - 05/21/03 01:38 PM Re: Cub Plug
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello--I am a long time participant trying to keep my identity a secret--this post might give too much away:

Lived in Chicago for two years as a child and am now a long suffering Cubs fan. Yes, Wrigley rocks. Thank goodness, I was old enough for my brother and I to catch the L alone and ride to Wrigley to watch a game. We just hoped the did not put us on TV, we were usually supposed to be in school.

Lived in Houston for 4 years as a child and am now a long suffering Astros fan. I love their new stadium, but will miss hearing that one particular beer vendor yelling, "coldest foam in the dome!"

Lived in Arlington for four summers while in college and worked at Arlington Stadium for one of them. However, I never caught the Ranger bug--and I even got into all the games free.

Attended a Division I college for 1.5 years at an unnamed school--we won two national championships in football while I was there and was cheated out of a 3rd by the poll voters--wish I could tell you where, but such is the life of anonymity. Let me just say--It was a blast!!!

Return to Top
#80809 - 05/21/03 07:30 PM Re: Cub Plug
Kara S Offline
Platinum Poster
Milwaukee, WI
I know that this thread has been drawn out, but I thought I would share. I get to experience Wrigley Field for the first time on June 5th! If anyone is going to that game, I'll be in the bleachers!! I can't wait!

Return to Top
#80810 - 05/21/03 08:13 PM Re: Cub Plug
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:

I know that this thread has been drawn out

Hey, what's wrong with drawing out a discussuion on one of "Amreica's Favorite Past Times".

Enjoy your visit to Wrigley.

BTW does anyone have a clue to who Anon (the post just above Kara's) is? I don't, but hope he/she decides to reveal themselves after a few guesses.
Last edited by dpersfull; 05/21/03 08:16 PM.

Return to Top
#80811 - 05/21/03 08:17 PM Re: Cub Plug
JulesB Offline
Gold Star
JulesB
A Designated Tree City in OK, ...
Watch out for the rowdies who sit out there (unless you will be one of them ). My two times at Wrigley have been in the seats along the first base line when Gracie was still with the team. Got to see Sammy hit one of his home runs back in '98, when he and big Mac were neck and neck for the record.

Return to Top
#80812 - 05/28/03 02:45 AM Re: Cub Plug
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:

You are going down Cardinals!!!

Since this posted started on 5/15/03.

Through 5/26/03

Cubs 5 and 6

Cardinals 8 and 4

After tonight it looks like it may be:

Cubs 5 and 7

Cardinals 8 and 5

Return to Top
#80813 - 05/28/03 02:56 PM Re: Cub Plug
Anonymous
Unregistered

So, is the Cubs pathetic play over the last 2 games the reason why this post was downgraded to 3 star rating?????

Return to Top
#80814 - 05/28/03 03:08 PM Re: Cub Plug
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:

So, is the Cubs pathetic play over the last 2 games the reason why this post was downgraded to 3 star rating?????

I don't know about that, I didn't downgrade it. But I did want to get my plug in for the Cardinals, (and maybe rub a little salt too). But I'll keep a low profile, I don't want to jinx them (the Cardinals).

Return to Top
#80815 - 05/28/03 09:53 PM Re: Cub Plug
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't know about that, I didn't downgrade it. But I did want to get my plug in for the Cardinals, (and maybe rub a little salt too). But I'll keep a low profile, I don't want to jinx them (the Cardinals).

Score one for the good guys david!

Return to Top
#80816 - 05/29/03 01:34 PM Re: Cub Plug
Neytiri Offline
Platinum Poster
Neytiri
Pandora
I couldn't let this thread die without a plug for my favorite team.

Anyone notice who has the best record in the NL?? NOT the Cubs. Is no one here a Braves fan?? And they have the best record with their pitching gutted. One thing about the Braves though - they always seem to choke during the playoffs.

Don't you just love it that the salary cap runs baseball now? Use to be - back in the olden days - that the players stayed with a club pretty much for life and you really felt like the team was a team. Now just when you have memorized the lineups, ERAs, batting averages, etc. then Bingo! - half the team gets traded. And salaries are so outrageous that there is no incentive to go to the playoffs.

But there is nothing like going to a major league baseball game.

Return to Top
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4