Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#629509 - 10/26/06 09:49 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:

Is there a large [Email]g@y[/Email] population in NJ?

With the war on terror and all of the other crazy things like child molesters and illegal drugs around, why is this even on the forefront of judicial issues?

why should the judiciary be executing the war on terror?! and do you assume that this is the only case on their docket?

Return to Top
#629510 - 10/26/06 09:50 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Comparing marriage between a man and a woman of different races with a (you pick the word) between two same sex people is definitely an apples and oranges comparison.

The first is still a biologically correct method of pairing off with the hope of continuing the species.

The latter is akin to the justification for calling ABA players "Olympians" and displacing atheletes who worked for years just to get into the Olympics. If you can grasp that concept than you can understand where Nanwa and a lot of other people are coming from for their position against legitimizing gay couplings.

Return to Top
#629511 - 10/26/06 09:42 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Quote:

Oh yes I am. I feel it is fine as long as you atleast know the last name. J/K

Good to know Ms. Power

Return to Top
#629512 - 10/26/06 10:04 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:

I think that this world is going to just have to accept it because people can't change who they are just to make narrow minded people happy.

don't be so sure...

(before i edited, i had posted a link to the SNL sketch "heteroy" but i figured political speech, the free-est of the free, would be censored on this site)
Last edited by Ron Mexico; 10/26/06 10:12 PM.
Return to Top
#629513 - 10/26/06 10:15 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
ROFL! I think that people get married because they want to show their committment to one another. Being married does help with all of the day to day red tape that we face as a couple though. I don't think that most people get married for the religious thumbs up...I think it's just about love. Maybe I am being too romantic...why did any of you get married?

Return to Top
#629514 - 10/26/06 10:19 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Quote:

Comparing marriage between a man and a woman of different races with a (you pick the word) between two same sex people is definitely an apples and oranges comparison.

The first is still a biologically correct method of pairing off with the hope of continuing the species.

At the time that anti-miscenegenation were in effect mixed-race marriage was definitely *not* considered "a biologically correct method of pairing off with the hope of continuing the species".

The comparison to laws against gay marriage is an apples to apples comparison.

Return to Top
#629515 - 10/26/06 10:20 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Actually, 70% of the "world" (in the US, that is) is made up of 'narrow minded people' who've voted to ban gay marrige in 19 states already.

Apparently the pro-gay union opinion voiced throughout this thread is, in reality, the minority opinion. Next Tuesday will tell for sure in a few more states.

Return to Top
#629516 - 10/26/06 10:23 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
AML, while inter-racial marriages might not have been considered 'correct', as you point out, it was, as I stated, biologically correct. Gay unions are not. Therefore, laws about each are inheritanly different too and not an apples to apples comparison.

Return to Top
#629517 - 10/26/06 10:25 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:

a "union" that's not marriage is "less than" marriage [even if it has all of the same legal ramifications].

why is it about the semantics, rainier? i support it for common rights. it is a spiritual thing of which any definition can apply to the concept.

do i make idiots from the midwest call their "pop" soda?

Return to Top
#629518 - 10/26/06 10:19 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Quote:

At the time that anti-miscenegenation were in effect mixed-race marriage was definitely *not* considered "a biologically correct method of pairing off with the hope of continuing the species".

The comparison to laws against gay marriage is an apples to apples comparison.

I don't see reasoning working here.

Return to Top
#629519 - 10/26/06 10:23 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
No, there's definitely the 'if enough people don't like gays, we don't have to treat them like other citizens' vibe at work.

There was a great cartoon some time ago whose punchline was that gay people wouldn't be included in hate crime legislation because so many people hated them.

Return to Top
#629520 - 10/26/06 10:28 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Paul Franklin Offline
100 Club
Bothell, Washington
Quote:

I don't even think marriage should be a legal construct. Marriage should be considered a rite of the church and defined by your own faith, as are things like baptism. Legal and financial entitlements such as survivorship, health insurance, etc. should be defined by parameters such as cohabitation and financial dependence, not by one's sexual arrangements. In fact, why shouldn't two people living together have those rights even in a totally non-sexual relationship, such as siblings or close friends who choose to live with each other?

that makes perfect sense, which is probably why the government has never thought of it.

Return to Top
#629521 - 10/26/06 10:32 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

No, there's definitely the 'if enough people don't like gays, we don't have to treat them like other citizens' vibe at work.

There was a great cartoon some time ago whose punchline was that gay people wouldn't be included in hate crime legislation because so many people hated them.

It's sad. Change will come, but it will be slow and in 50 years people will be looking back at these discussions, shaking their heads and wondering how people could be so thoughtless and cruel to others.

Return to Top
#629522 - 10/26/06 10:40 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
All I'm trying to say is that the comparison between inter-racial and gay is not valid. While racism is alive and well in more places than we'd like, there are more people who can support inter-racial marriages that there are those who can condone gay life pairings.

And while the idea the marriage doesn't have to be a legal construct is indeed intriguing, it isn't apparent that Americans have evolved to a point needed to accept this.

Return to Top
#629523 - 10/26/06 10:43 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Ah, but you see, there's the rub. Everyone doesn't agree with you that people are being 'thoughtless and cruel' by not supporting something they believe to be wrong. There's as good a chance that this will not turn out the way you hope, SP, as there is that it will.

Return to Top
#629524 - 10/26/06 10:55 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Fraudman CFCI Offline
Power Poster
Fraudman CFCI
Land of Steady Habits
The first sentence of your post is very accurate. Then the big day comes and it is all down hill from there. Before marriage you each have "mine". After the marriage, she says what's mine is mine and what's yours is ours.

Return to Top
#629525 - 10/26/06 11:01 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Quote:

Actually, 70% of the "world" (in the US, that is) is made up of 'narrow minded people' who've voted to ban gay marrige in 19 states already.

Apparently the pro-gay union opinion voiced throughout this thread is, in reality, the minority opinion. Next Tuesday will tell for sure in a few more states.

If 70% of the population thought that democrats should not be allowed to vote, should we ban democrats from voting?

Return to Top
#629526 - 10/26/06 11:10 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Fraudman CFCI Offline
Power Poster
Fraudman CFCI
Land of Steady Habits
What a great idea! Wish I had thought of it.

Return to Top
#629527 - 10/26/06 11:11 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Just pass a constitutional amendment and its a done deal.

Return to Top
#629528 - 10/26/06 11:24 PM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Quote:

If 70% of the population thought that democrats should not be allowed to vote, should we ban democrats from voting?

That 70% number is anything but solid. It's based on people who vote in particular elections for particular amendments for each state's constitution.

Return to Top
#629529 - 10/27/06 12:20 AM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
You're absolutely right - 70% is not a solid number.
Quote:

It's based on people who vote in particular elections for particular amendments to ban gay marriages for each state's constitution.

But with 19 states voting this way, it presents as a formidable indication of what's to come.

Return to Top
#629530 - 10/27/06 12:24 AM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Straw, to answer your question...yes. My point is that we live in a country where majority rules. That doesn't make either side narrow minded or thoughtless.

Return to Top
#629531 - 10/27/06 12:46 AM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Quote:

Ahhh, there it is. I knew it would surface sooner or later. "If you're not in favor of gay marriage, it must be because you hate gays." Sorry, I recognize that's true in some cases, but it's not true in most. You can care for, treat with dignity, and I daresay even love someone who is gay without being in favor of gay marriage. Believe it or not, there are gay people who are not in favor of changing the law. Do they hate gay people too?

This had been a rather civil discussion up to that post and the one before it.

Return to Top
#629532 - 10/27/06 12:49 AM Re: NJ passes civil rights law for homosexuals
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Quote:

Quote:

a "union" that's not marriage is "less than" marriage [even if it has all of the same legal ramifications].

why is it about the semantics, rainier? i support it for common rights. it is a spiritual thing of which any definition can apply to the concept.

do i make idiots from the midwest call their "pop" soda?

Ron, the part you quoted was actually a quote from one of the plaintiffs. Although I won't claim to speak for her (that would be ironic!), I think my post pretty clearly spelled out why it's about the "semantics."

Also, I have no idea what you mean by: "it is a spiritual thing of which any definition can apply to the concept."

Return to Top
Page 6 of 16 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 15 16