Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options Tools
#80742 - 05/15/03 09:52 PM Cub Plug
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just had to say this to someone, and since I am stuck at work... how about them Cubbies! It may take them 17 innings, but we're in no rush.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#80743 - 05/16/03 01:26 PM Re: Cub Plug
Becker Offline
Iowa
Go Cubbies!! Bring on the Cardinals!

Return to Top
#80744 - 05/16/03 01:33 PM Re: Cub Plug
conniew Offline
100 Club
conniew
St. Louis, MO
I have to admit I am lovin' the Cubs being in "rare air"! Even though I now live in St. Louis, I grew up in northern Iowa with a father who was a huge Cubs fan, so I secretly root for them even when they're in town (as they are today!). Of course, I can't admit that to anyone I work with or I would be in serious trouble. Go Cubs!!!

Return to Top
#80745 - 05/16/03 01:39 PM Re: Cub Plug
Mr. Clean Offline
Platinum Poster
Mr. Clean
New England
What about the AL?? I'm having a heck of a time finding someone to talk "Mariners" since I moved to the East coast (who wants to talk about Boston ) it's even worse when they play the (yuck) Yankees ....

Return to Top
#80746 - 05/16/03 02:05 PM Re: Cub Plug
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I'll make you a deal - I'll root for the Mariners (after all, they have my favorite ex-Cub lefty) and you must root for the Cubs.

Return to Top
#80747 - 05/16/03 02:15 PM Re: Cub Plug
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
I've gotten less into major league baseball and more into the minors. I mean, the closest major league team I have is the Brewers, with that over priced monstrosity of a field/arena/spaceship, when I can see the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers in Appleton. And they play a good game!

Return to Top
#80748 - 05/16/03 02:15 PM Re: Cub Plug
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
Thankfully my boss lets me have the ESPN GameCast running whenever there is a Cubs game (as long as I get some work done).
You are going down Cardinals!!!

Return to Top
#80749 - 05/16/03 02:28 PM Re: Cub Plug
JulesB Offline
Gold Star
JulesB
A Designated Tree City in OK, ...
Woo Hoo Cubbies! Keep the winning streak going!

Return to Top
#80750 - 05/16/03 02:28 PM Re: Cub Plug
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm a die hard Cardinals fan from Central Illinois and I'll be down in St. Louis on Sunday rooting my team on. Cubs always start out well and they always falter, so just wait and see. Haven't you heard what CUBS mean? Completely Useless By September

Return to Top
#80751 - 05/16/03 02:29 PM Re: Cub Plug
Anonymous
Unregistered

And who says the Cowboys are America's team? Coast-to-Coast there is love for the Cubs!

Return to Top
#80752 - 05/16/03 02:32 PM Re: Cub Plug
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:

We'll see!!!!!!

Remember the Cubs have started off with a bang before just to fall on their butts the second half of the season.

Return to Top
#80753 - 05/16/03 02:42 PM Re: Cub Plug
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would normally agree 100%, since I have been suffering for 34 years, but barring injury - the Cubs have never even come close to having the kind of pitching staff they have now.

Return to Top
#80754 - 05/16/03 02:45 PM Re: Cub Plug
Mr. Clean Offline
Platinum Poster
Mr. Clean
New England
Quote:

Well I'll make you a deal - I'll root for the Mariners (after all, they have my favorite ex-Cub lefty) and you must root for the Cubs.

Yeah another Mariners fan Go Cubbies

Return to Top
#80755 - 05/16/03 02:48 PM Re: Cub Plug
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
UHH UMM- Go Rangers!!!!

Return to Top
#80756 - 05/16/03 03:02 PM Re: Cub Plug
Bartman Offline
Diamond Poster
Bartman
Springfield
Let me just say, I really miss Harry Caray. And now that Ernie Harwell has retired, I don't really identify anyone as the summertime "voice of the game"...

Return to Top
#80757 - 05/16/03 03:04 PM Re: Cub Plug
VickiS Offline
100 Club
VickiS
Madison, Wisconsin
I've been a BIG Cub fan since the early 1980s (which doesn't set too well with a number of my co-workers, since we're in Wisconsin)!! Anyway, GO CUBs!!!! This is THE year!!!!

Vicki S.
Madison, WI

Return to Top
#80758 - 05/16/03 03:23 PM Re: Cub Plug
Anonymous
Unregistered

Now hold on a minute Cubbie...

Just wanted to say that I dig all your responses and contributions to BOL...but let's get something straight...

Cubbies may be one of America's teams and I don't dispute that, but I remember my priest referred to the Cowboys as "God's team" and Texas Stadium has an opening on top so God could see His team play.

Return to Top
#80759 - 05/16/03 03:30 PM Re: Cub Plug
Kara S Offline
Platinum Poster
Milwaukee, WI
Quote:

I just had to say this to someone, and since I am stuck at work... how about them Cubbies! It may take them 17 innings, but we're in no rush.

Congrats! It was a great game. It was more than worth it for the Cub fans to drive an hour into Milwaukee to root for their team! Go Cubs!

Return to Top
#80760 - 05/16/03 03:34 PM Re: Cub Plug
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Quote:

I remember my priest referred to the Cowboys as "God's team" and Texas Stadium has an opening on top so God could see His team play.

If the Cowboys are God's team, then why would He have let Reggie White and Irving Fryar (both ordained ministers) play for the Eagles? (And for the Redskins, as was the case with Fryar.) Wouldn't that be a conflict of interest?;)

Return to Top
#80761 - 05/16/03 03:34 PM Re: Cub Plug
Anonymous
Unregistered

Lil Bit, I had the fortune of watching your beloved Rangers get dismantled by Pedro & Co. last night...from on top of the Monster Seats! They are truly incredible - swivel bar stools, tons of room, and the best view in baseball. CubDave, we tried our hardest to get one of the outfielders to re-enact Sosa's 'how many outs', but to no avail as of yet...

Return to Top
#80762 - 05/16/03 03:50 PM Re: Cub Plug
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Now hold on a minute Cubbie...

Just wanted to say that I dig all your responses and contributions to BOL...but let's get something straight...

Cubbies may be one of America's teams and I don't dispute that, but I remember my priest referred to the Cowboys as "God's team" and Texas Stadium has an opening on top so God could see His team play.

Texas Stadium may have the opening so God can see in, but Wrigley has the Ivy so that God can invite all his living creatures to the game where they can blend in unnoticed and actually watch the game "inside" the best ballpark in the world.

Return to Top
#80763 - 05/16/03 04:00 PM Re: Cub Plug
RFitzpatrick Offline
Gold Star
RFitzpatrick
Pacific NW
Nice to here there's a few Mariners fans out there. Sometimes I feel so isolated in this corner of the country. I agree the "classic" ballparks are great, but of the newer parks, "The Safe" is really a fantastic venue for baseball.

Return to Top
#80764 - 05/16/03 04:03 PM Re: Cub Plug
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have nothing against the new parks either. A lot of them look beautiful - I would love to be one of those people who travel the country to see each one. I will say that of the ones I have been in, I was very close to claiming this one as beautiful as Wrigley, and there are aspects of it that are nicer - Coors Field (regardless of the fact that the pop-ups zoom out of the park. It's just a gorgeous field, with the mountains, and the concourse is just wide open with no covering so that you can see the mountains, stars, etc.

Return to Top
#80765 - 05/16/03 04:04 PM Re: Cub Plug
Mr. Clean Offline
Platinum Poster
Mr. Clean
New England
Quote:

Nice to here there's a few Mariners fans out there. Sometimes I feel so isolated in this corner of the country. I agree the "classic" ballparks are great, but of the newer parks, "The Safe" is really a fantastic venue for baseball.

You have to love those trains in the background..

Return to Top
#80766 - 05/16/03 04:07 PM Re: Cub Plug
Walleye Woman Offline
Platinum Poster
Walleye Woman
My husband, son - who was five at the time, and myself attended a game at Wrigley in 1994. That was one of the best sports experiences in all my life. My son can barely remember it but we have some great pictures for him. That place is indeed legendary.

I'd rather be fishing.

Return to Top
#80767 - 05/16/03 04:10 PM Re: Cub Plug
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
Unfortunately my kids have sooo many ball games themselves this time of year I don't get to see as many Ranger games as what I like and here lately they haven't been showing in our area. I think there has been some impact since Pudge left on the crowd. My husband will sit in his truck and listen to games. Last I heard they were pretty close to 500 - before this last losing streak - which is not to bad for them! The pitching staff is getting better, but still has a way to go

Return to Top
#80768 - 05/16/03 04:22 PM Re: Cub Plug
Tom C Offline
100 Club
South of Boston
Quote:

What about the AL?? I'm having a heck of a time finding someone to talk "Mariners" since I moved to the East coast (who wants to talk about Boston ) it's even worse when they play the (yuck) Yankees ....

Oh yeah? The Red Sox spank the Rangers three in a row and Nomar hits successfully again to lead the league at 16 and you give up on them already? That's not supposed to happen until after the All Star break!

Return to Top
#80769 - 05/16/03 04:27 PM Re: Cub Plug
Tom C Offline
100 Club
South of Boston
You can keep your fancy-dancy ballparks! Nothing can beat a warm summer night at Fenway even if we are playing the dreaded Yankees!

Return to Top
#80770 - 05/16/03 04:30 PM Re: Cub Plug
Anonymous
Unregistered

I made it as close to right on the street outside of Fenway - agree with you 100% - beautiful landmark building. Just missing the whole extensive neighborhood bar thing surrounding it like Wrigley.

Return to Top
#80771 - 05/16/03 04:32 PM Re: Cub Plug
Mr. Clean Offline
Platinum Poster
Mr. Clean
New England

Oh yeah? The Red Sox spank the Rangers three in a row and Nomar hits successfully again to lead the league at 16 and you give up on them already? That's not supposed to happen until after the All Star break!

Yes but they were playing (sorry LiL Bit More ) only the Rangers...

Return to Top
#80772 - 05/16/03 04:45 PM Re: Cub Plug
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
Ya'll just wait - when my son gets called up they will finally win a Pennant . A Rod better move over!
But seriously, I'm not a fair weather fan and I will always stay true to the Boys and the Rangers! Even though right now my sons 16/17 yr old team would probably hang with them and they are the Texas Mariners! Go figure !

Return to Top
#80773 - 05/16/03 04:48 PM Re: Cub Plug
Kara S Offline
Platinum Poster
Milwaukee, WI
I have a horrible secret! I just cheer for anyone the Brewers are playing! I love watching fans around me get mad!

Return to Top
#80774 - 05/16/03 04:56 PM Re: Cub Plug
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Quote:

I have a horrible secret! I just cheer for anyone the Brewers are playing! I love watching fans around me get mad!

Saturday night, I was at the Matchbox 20 concert with my wife while the 76ers and Pistons were in the midst of their playoff series across the street. During the concert, it was announced that the "Sixers just kicked the *stuffing* out of the Pistons." All of the concertgoers erupted into a big cheer- except for my wife, who is from Detroit. She was booing, and left me fearing for her personal safety.

Return to Top
#80775 - 05/16/03 05:17 PM Re: Cub Plug
JulesB Offline
Gold Star
JulesB
Quote:

Ya'll just wait - when my son gets called up they will finally when a Pennant . A Rod better move over!
But seriously, I'm not a fair weather fan and I will always stay true to the Boys and the Rangers! Even though right now my sons 16/17 yr old team would probably hang with them and they are the Texas Mariners! Go figure !

Maybe he'll get to play in OKC first with the Redhawks (Rangers' AAA farm team), at the beautiful Bricktown Ball Park. Went to a game last month and got to view from one of the suites. It was great! While others got rained on part of the game, we got to go inside and stay nice and dry.

Return to Top
#80776 - 05/16/03 05:31 PM Re: Cub Plug
EllenA Offline
Platinum Poster
EllenA
Flushing, NY
Last year, at BAI in Phoniex, I had double fun. Went to the Diamondback game and watched the Mets trounce them AND got to bring home a purple Rattle to give to my die-hard Yankee fan husband. Kara, it was really fun routing for the "wrong" team. And it was culture shock! The people passed the food down the row to the person who ordered and then they passed the money back to the seller Warning -- do not do this if you come to a game here

Return to Top
#80777 - 05/16/03 05:56 PM Re: Cub Plug
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
A couple of years ago, some friends and I went to Chicago on a 'baseball' trip. We went to games at Wrigley, Comiskey, then at Busch on our way home. It was awesome! Wrigley is unbelievable - all the hype is true.

Of course, I live much closer to Dallas, Denver and Phoenix, but I haven't been to their ballparks (yet!).

Return to Top
#80778 - 05/16/03 06:05 PM Re: Cub Plug
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cubbie...

I dig Wrigley Field as well and think that Baseball, Football, and giving a shout out for all our favorite teams if the best way to end a heck of a week in Compliance!

Go Spurs Go...Go Cubs Go...Go Cowboys Go and Go BOL Go!!!

Return to Top
#80779 - 05/16/03 06:11 PM Re: Cub Plug
EllenA Offline
Platinum Poster
EllenA
Flushing, NY
Go Devils Go
Go Nets Go

Return to Top
#80780 - 05/16/03 07:02 PM Re: Cub Plug
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
One of the most awesome tournaments my son was invited to play in this last summer was in Alabama at Rickwood stadium which was home of the Birmingham Barons. The Barons were the first team in the Negro League with Willie Mays, Satchel Paige, etc. They used the field in several movies, one of which was A League of Their Own. The feeling in the stadium was really kewl! The boys, as we were told was a tradition, took some dirt from the field and put it in jars for keepsakes. The field still had original bleachers, signs and scoreboard and is the oldest standing park today. If you are ever that way I think it is a one time must see! Or better yet look here.

Return to Top
#80781 - 05/16/03 09:44 PM Re: Cub Plug
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was a Cub fan for 34 years. I died with them during the 69 season, the 84 playoffs, and the 89 playoffs. When they decided to let Greg Maddux leave so that they could sign 2 free agent pitchers for the price of one, I said that was enough for me. Go to Wrigly Field now with young kids and you spend most of the game passing beers down the row or getting up for people to use the washroom. Oh for the days when you could go to Wrigley and get box seats the day of the game. Go White Sox!!!

Return to Top
#80782 - 05/16/03 09:47 PM Re: Cub Plug
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh at least log in if you want to Cub bash - I forgot that people in all other ballparks don't drink beer and never have to relieve themselves!

Return to Top
#80783 - 05/16/03 09:53 PM Re: Cub Plug
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

You can keep your fancy-dancy ballparks! Nothing can beat a warm summer night at Fenway even if we are playing the dreaded Yankees!

Coincidentally, on espn.com today: web page and web page

Return to Top
#80784 - 05/16/03 10:10 PM Re: Cub Plug
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cub Dave,

Sorry for posting anonomously earlier. I love Comiskey, er,US Cellular because I don't have to worry about passing beers down the row because there are usually only about 17,000 of us in the park. We just spread ourselves out. Gotta run, Out onto the field that is.

Return to Top
#80785 - 05/16/03 10:41 PM Re: Cub Plug
RFitzpatrick Offline
Gold Star
RFitzpatrick
Pacific NW
Quote:

Sorry for posting anonomously earlier.

Why, you're still anonymous

Return to Top
#80786 - 05/16/03 10:44 PM Re: Cub Plug
river rat Offline
river rat
washington
Eddddddddddddddd Garrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
I love the Mariners. Went to spring training 2 years ago and have made it over to Seattle for 2 games so far this year. Both wins - Oakland and Anaheim. Freddie is my man, but he better start throwing or he might get replaced on my list with Gil.

Return to Top
#80787 - 05/17/03 12:23 AM Re: Cub Plug
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Is anyone else frightened by Lil's Big SMILEY face? tee hee hee

I used to do radio commentary in Seattle on the Mariners. My raido name was "The Choke Lady" which refered to the fact that whenever anyone in Seattle had any hope what so ever of the Mariners making it through a championship series...they ALWAYS choked!

I worked in branch land in those days. It was always interesting working with a client at my desk and a radio in the top drawer with an ear phone thingie in my left ear. Sometimes the games were much more interesting than the clients...and I'm sure they always wondered when I shouted WOO HOO when they made a deposit...How hard up can a bank be for cash?

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#80788 - 05/17/03 03:23 PM Re: Cub Plug
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does anyone else wonder if there is anything Dawnie hasn't done?!

Return to Top
#80789 - 05/19/03 02:46 AM Re: Cub Plug
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
I can't make rice. And I'm deathly afraid of ski lifts. I was never Ms. America and I was rejected from flight attendent school because I'm under 5'4". So...4 things I haven't done

And don't suggest a rice cooker anyone!!!! You just make me feel stupider...I tried that, still didn't work. If you come to my house for dinner...don't expect rice

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#80790 - 05/19/03 12:23 PM Re: Cub Plug
Mr. Clean Offline
Platinum Poster
Mr. Clean
New England
Quote:

I can't make rice. And I'm deathly afraid of ski lifts. I was never Ms. America and I was rejected from flight attendent school because I'm under 5'4". So...4 things I haven't done

And don't suggest a rice cooker anyone!!!! You just make me feel stupider...I tried that, still didn't work. If you come to my house for dinner...don't expect rice

You know you can boil rice (like pasta) and just drain it when done...

Return to Top
#80791 - 05/19/03 12:55 PM Re: Cub Plug
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I would like to nominate Dawney as ... Ms. BOL!!!

All in favor say I...those opposed...

It looks like the I's have it!!!

Now you've done it all!

- Your friendly neighborhood BOL User...

Return to Top
#80792 - 05/19/03 01:46 PM Re: Cub Plug
Starky Offline
100 Club
Starky
Arkansas
Quote:

Is anyone else frightened by Lil's Big SMILEY face? tee hee hee

Dawnie, I was thinking the same thing Friday. Everytime it showed up on a thread, it kind of freaked me out. It looks like it would eat the smaller smiley on these threads, like this one.

Return to Top
#80793 - 05/19/03 02:25 PM Re: Cub Plug
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
I made the road trip all the way to St. Louis yesterday to see the Cubs... I did not travel all that way to see Alfonseca blow the game by not knowing how to throw to first.
Oh well, Cubs still lead the division.

Return to Top
#80794 - 05/19/03 02:50 PM Re: Cub Plug
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's right, still in 1st! And give Alfonseca a break - it's not easy to grip the ball when you have 6 fingers (plus, did you see Pujols cheat and run 5 feet inside the baseline!)

Return to Top
#80795 - 05/19/03 02:58 PM Re: Cub Plug
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
I did see Pujols cheat....and I got yelled at by a Stadium Attendant when I was trying to "politely" inform the 3rd base umpire of that fact.

Return to Top
#80796 - 05/19/03 03:01 PM Re: Cub Plug
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
What!? You can't yell baserunning instructions at the players any more?? A few idiots spoil it for the rest of us umpire wannabes!

Return to Top
#80797 - 05/19/03 03:13 PM Re: Cub Plug
Mr. Clean Offline
Platinum Poster
Mr. Clean
New England
I just want you to know I watched the Sat. game (Cubs 2- St. L 1) and cheered for the Cubbies per our agreement.. did you watch any Mariners? How about the Boston game on Sat. where Nixon threw the ball to a fan with only two outs !!

Return to Top
#80798 - 05/19/03 03:21 PM Re: Cub Plug
Anonymous
Unregistered

I did in a sense - didn't get a chance to see the game but watched the highlights and was impressed by Mr. Boone performing as he apparently predicted, and by my favorite ex-Cub lefty. But I gotta say, could any team have more Pacific Rim guys responsible for a victory than the Mariners? I mean, between Suzuki, Hasegawa, and Sasaki, all you were missing was for Sadahara Oh to show up at the plate! (and I did see Nixon's gaffe - cracked me up - 2nd worst Nixon screwup since Richard Milhous!)

Return to Top
#80799 - 05/19/03 03:24 PM Re: Cub Plug
Tom C Offline
100 Club
South of Boston
Hey! Leave my Red Sox alone! They just came away from taking 3 from the Rangers and 1 from the Angels and now they have to face a series with the dreaded Yankees. Oh , just incase you hadn't noticed , they are tied with the Yanks for first place! Go Red Sox!

Return to Top
#80800 - 05/19/03 03:27 PM Re: Cub Plug
tomn Offline
tomn
troy ny
But, when all is said and done, baseball's only shrine is "the house that Ruth built". There is only one true stadium icon. yup, Yankee Stadium with Monument Park.. just ask any visiting player what his reaction was the first time he played there. Bet he went early and visited Monument Park! But Go Cubs anyway!

Return to Top
#80801 - 05/19/03 03:48 PM Re: Cub Plug
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Doubt it! Most young players think Babe Ruth was a fictional character.

Return to Top
#80802 - 05/19/03 04:18 PM Re: Cub Plug
EllenA Offline
Platinum Poster
EllenA
Flushing, NY
Couple of years ago, I was vacationing in beautiful Cape Cod and, of course, my husband was listening to sports radio in the car. They were discussing how "we" were just 4 out and should be able to catch up to them soon. I'm thinking "catch up.... when did we slip up????? and then I remembered where we were.

Return to Top
#80803 - 05/20/03 04:29 PM Re: Cub Plug
jack Offline
100 Club
jack
USA
A bit late to this discussion, but a few thoughts to add:

- Having visited at least 17 mlb parks, mostly in the east and Midwest, I have to agree with the Cubs fans that Wrigley is the best ballpark (that I’ve been to). Nothing is quite the same as a mid-week afternoon game at the friendly confines.

- Minor league games are fun too, and some of the stadiums are real standouts. For anyone interested in visiting different minor league parks, consider a subscription to Minor Trips

- Lastly, EllenA, I’ve been to Shea stadium plenty of times and have always done the whole pass-the-money-to-the-vendor routine without incident, especially with the crazy fun peanut guy who throws the bags behind his back, across sections, to the mezzanine, etc.

Return to Top
#80804 - 05/20/03 04:37 PM Re: Cub Plug
Mr. Clean Offline
Platinum Poster
Mr. Clean
New England

Quote:

- Having visited at least 17 mlb parks, mostly in the east and Midwest, I have to agree with the Cubs fans that Wrigley is the best ballpark (that I’ve been to). Nothing is quite the same as a mid-week afternoon game at the friendly confines.

Oh great, now you've armed CubDave with more rant material..

Return to Top
#80805 - 05/20/03 04:48 PM Re: Cub Plug
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nah - I never expected this post to garner so much attention. The boys in blue would be proud!

Return to Top
#80806 - 05/20/03 06:21 PM Re: Cub Plug
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
Hey! How 'bout those Mavs! And just a little late....Rangers vs. Yanks (Can u say Saaawwweeeep!!!!)

Return to Top
#80807 - 05/20/03 06:30 PM Re: Cub Plug
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
Hey! Watch the SMILEY comments...I've never had bragging rights to "the biggest one on the block" and I have never been accused of scaring anyone - except my husband first thing in the morning . I'm 5'1" / 106 lbs, it feels good to finally be big and scary!

Return to Top
#80808 - 05/21/03 01:38 PM Re: Cub Plug
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello--I am a long time participant trying to keep my identity a secret--this post might give too much away:

Lived in Chicago for two years as a child and am now a long suffering Cubs fan. Yes, Wrigley rocks. Thank goodness, I was old enough for my brother and I to catch the L alone and ride to Wrigley to watch a game. We just hoped the did not put us on TV, we were usually supposed to be in school.

Lived in Houston for 4 years as a child and am now a long suffering Astros fan. I love their new stadium, but will miss hearing that one particular beer vendor yelling, "coldest foam in the dome!"

Lived in Arlington for four summers while in college and worked at Arlington Stadium for one of them. However, I never caught the Ranger bug--and I even got into all the games free.

Attended a Division I college for 1.5 years at an unnamed school--we won two national championships in football while I was there and was cheated out of a 3rd by the poll voters--wish I could tell you where, but such is the life of anonymity. Let me just say--It was a blast!!!

Return to Top
#80809 - 05/21/03 07:30 PM Re: Cub Plug
Kara S Offline
Platinum Poster
Milwaukee, WI
I know that this thread has been drawn out, but I thought I would share. I get to experience Wrigley Field for the first time on June 5th! If anyone is going to that game, I'll be in the bleachers!! I can't wait!

Return to Top
#80810 - 05/21/03 08:13 PM Re: Cub Plug
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:

I know that this thread has been drawn out

Hey, what's wrong with drawing out a discussuion on one of "Amreica's Favorite Past Times".

Enjoy your visit to Wrigley.

BTW does anyone have a clue to who Anon (the post just above Kara's) is? I don't, but hope he/she decides to reveal themselves after a few guesses.
Last edited by dpersfull; 05/21/03 08:16 PM.

Return to Top
#80811 - 05/21/03 08:17 PM Re: Cub Plug
JulesB Offline
Gold Star
JulesB
Watch out for the rowdies who sit out there (unless you will be one of them ). My two times at Wrigley have been in the seats along the first base line when Gracie was still with the team. Got to see Sammy hit one of his home runs back in '98, when he and big Mac were neck and neck for the record.

Return to Top
#80812 - 05/28/03 02:45 AM Re: Cub Plug
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:

Since this posted started on 5/15/03.

Through 5/26/03

Cubs 5 and 6

Cardinals 8 and 4

After tonight it looks like it may be:

Cubs 5 and 7

Cardinals 8 and 5

Return to Top
#80813 - 05/28/03 02:56 PM Re: Cub Plug
Anonymous
Unregistered

So, is the Cubs pathetic play over the last 2 games the reason why this post was downgraded to 3 star rating?????

Return to Top
#80814 - 05/28/03 03:08 PM Re: Cub Plug
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:

So, is the Cubs pathetic play over the last 2 games the reason why this post was downgraded to 3 star rating?????

I don't know about that, I didn't downgrade it. But I did want to get my plug in for the Cardinals, (and maybe rub a little salt too). But I'll keep a low profile, I don't want to jinx them (the Cardinals).

Return to Top
#80815 - 05/28/03 09:53 PM Re: Cub Plug
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't know about that, I didn't downgrade it. But I did want to get my plug in for the Cardinals, (and maybe rub a little salt too). But I'll keep a low profile, I don't want to jinx them (the Cardinals).

Score one for the good guys david!

Return to Top
#80816 - 05/29/03 01:34 PM Re: Cub Plug
Neytiri Offline
Platinum Poster
Neytiri
Pandora
I couldn't let this thread die without a plug for my favorite team.

Anyone notice who has the best record in the NL?? NOT the Cubs. Is no one here a Braves fan?? And they have the best record with their pitching gutted. One thing about the Braves though - they always seem to choke during the playoffs.

Don't you just love it that the salary cap runs baseball now? Use to be - back in the olden days - that the players stayed with a club pretty much for life and you really felt like the team was a team. Now just when you have memorized the lineups, ERAs, batting averages, etc. then Bingo! - half the team gets traded. And salaries are so outrageous that there is no incentive to go to the playoffs.

But there is nothing like going to a major league baseball game.

Return to Top
#80817 - 05/29/03 01:41 PM Re: Cub Plug
Anonymous
Unregistered

The problem is that the Braves are always in first - they are BORING. I remember being in Atlanata about 7 years ago and they were boring - the seats were not close to being filled because there was no uncertainty - the fans were even certain that they would make the playoffs and then find a way to lose. As you can probably tell, I am not a Braves' fan, but they do have my favorite pitcher of all time - Greg M! I met Maddox's dad in Vegas - dad is a poker dealer there for years. When someone gets a great hand, he gives out an autographed baseball signed by Greg. I'm sure Brother Mike signs them though!

Return to Top
#80818 - 05/29/03 03:29 PM Re: Cub Plug
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
I have to put in my 2 cents, since I said the Cardinals were going down. I actually went to a Cub/Cardinal game in St. Louis last weekend (the Sunday when the Cubbies lost).
Cubs are still in first place. I, along with Mark Prior, am a believer (not a hopeless believer like years past).
And to bash the Braves - about 4 years ago, when I was still in college I went on a last minute road trip to Atlanta to see the Braves in the playoffs (the first series, not the NLCS), and I've never seen a place so empty for playoffs! And yes, it was boring (no wonder nobody showed up, everyone wants to see the "later" playoff games).

Return to Top
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4